Breed choice help please :)

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Jopedder

Breed choice help please :)

Post by Jopedder »

Hello,

I am researching breeds for our first dog and would appreciate some advice.

S/he would be our family pet (kids 6 and 8). My wife and I largely work from home. I would also like to take the dog with me while I make site visits for work (I survey wildlife for developers). Often this would just be to keep me company for the drive, quick leg stretch and then wait in the car while I visit a client, but would also regularly involve slow walks in farmland and woodland day or night. A low prey drive and potential for great recall is a must.

We would be able to offer something like two 30 minute walks / park playing a day plus whatever work in doing. At times, especially in winter the work aspect will be minimal, but could be a few times a week in summer.

I'm thinking border collie or a labrador at the moment, (fell totally in love with a collie at a rehoming centre yesterday, but they wouldn't let it to a house with kids :( ) but would welcome suggestions.

We are in England, so don't have American breeds available.

Many thanks, Jo
Jopedder

Re: Breed choice help please :)

Post by Jopedder »

That 8) was supposed to be an 8 )
CarolineLovesDogs

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

I'm not able to spend to much time considering what breeds would suit you well right now, but I do plan to come back later and reply again when I have more time. For now, I would say that (from what I read) a Border Collie might not be the best breed for you. I'm not sure if what you have listed will be enough activity and mental stimulation to keep a Border Collie happy and satisfied. And while BC's can be fabulous with children, they can also be very sensitive and somewhat shy. Young children may cause him to want to herd them or bark at them if they are running or squealing.
All dogs (even of the same breed, or litter) are different, so you will have to take that into consideration as well.
Also (I assume you know this but just want to make sure) if the dog will be staying in your car, you'll need to monitor the temperature closely so it isn't too hot or cold. In addition, keep the dog confined to a safe area (such as a crate) when he is left in the car. And remember, even if it is the right temperature, give your dog something to do in the car (such as a frozen peanut butter stuffed Kong, or other safe toy) if you are going to be gone for a while, and tire him out (with some exercise) before long waits in the car.
And if by "park playing" you mean taking the dog to an off leash dog park, I would say, be VERY careful. Dog parks can be fun, but may also be dangerous due to many dogs who are trained, managed, or socialized well by their owners. Disagreements (fights, though usually not serious) are really common in dog parks from my experience.
Just a bit of advice; I know most of this had nothing to do with the right breed for you, but I was just commenting on things I read from your post. I'll come back later if I have any breed suggestions.
Jopedder

Post by Jopedder »

thanks for your reply Caroline,

I didn't include any brain training in that we would also do as indoor activities, but you may be right. I am aware of the dangers of leaving a dog in a car and, although I need to do more research, know that there are ways of doing this properly and safely. We don't really have official 'dog parks' here, it is just a public green with a half dozen retired people exercising their dogs, nothing manic. We know most of them well as they tend to be out when I'm walking back from the school run.

Suggestions for other breeds would be very welcome.

Jo
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

How about that good old go-to breed, the golden retriever? They are great dogs and well deserve their excellent reputation and high popularity! I was blessed to share my life with a golden for thirteen wonderful years and think it might be a good choice for you too. :D

Actually, there are lots of breeds that would be great, but this one just popped into my head first when I read your criteria and life-style, so I wanted to throw it out there. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Jopedder

Post by Jopedder »

Thanks, we've thought about retrievers as we've known some lovely ones, but they can be just so big!
Jopedder

Post by Jopedder »

Thanks, we've thought about retrievers as we've known some lovely ones, but they can be just so big!
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Jopedder wrote:Thanks, we've thought about retrievers as we've known some lovely ones, but they can be just so big!
Well, you mentioned labs as a possibilty, and golden's aren't much bigger, just a lot more (beautiful!) fur! :lol:

And don't forget about mixed breeds - maybe a golden mix that has a lot of golden qualities but in a smaller package. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Jopedder

Post by Jopedder »

I think I've know some particularly large retrievers and I know labs can be varied. Just trying to arrange to see a miniture golden doodle puppy that I've seen, so cute!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

That will be a high-energy and high coat maintenance dog and be careful to check the parents out as so many are puppy-farm bred.

A border terrier or a cavvy king charles might suit you but be careful with health issues with the latter. Research your breeder very carefully.

I would advise against leaving a dog in the car as so many are stolen even from locked cars. Also it's easy for the dog to overheat even if the day isn't all that hot.

I wish more people would be as good as you are being in your research.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
bendog

Post by bendog »

How about a westie? Or one of the smaller spaniels - a cavalier or show cocker. I've known a couple of lovely little Llhasa Apsos.

Golden retrievers are fantastic. Doodles are lovely but I've been put off by seeing how filthy they get!!!

Or even a staffy?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Springer Spaniel. Affable, sweet tempered, smart as a whip. Happy to go anywhere, medium sized, fits well in the car, but not so small as to be fragile like the toy breeds. Does like to be a bit nosy, and do its fair share of wandering with nose to ground, but is bred to stay close range, making recall much easier than with the wide-ranging setter. Playful, *most* springers will chase a ball until your children's arms fall off (wear out the kids AND the dog). Your children are good ages now to learn the basic daily grooming skill of brushing, brushing, brushing a silky coated dog such as the springer, golden, or cocker. It will also help them bond with the dog and learn to be gentle.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Being a Springer owner myself, I second the recommendation! If looking for a dog from a breeder rather than a rescue, I'd advise against the working lines (see my post in the photos board for evidence!) since they are more likely to be very high energy and demanding. But spaniels tend to be great with kids, sweet natured and make good family pets, with a little extra work in terms of grooming (Springers LOVE mud! And the fur on their ears in particular is prone to tangling and matting, so really needs daily brushing) so if you go for a Springer, accept that in winter you will spend a lot of time bathing and grooming and towelling off the dog.

Personally, if I were in your position, I'd be looking at getting a mutt or similar from a rescue. If you see one that you like that is an obvious breed or mix or breeds, look up typical characteristics for those breeds and see if you think it will fit in with your family and lifestyle. Alternatively, post the link to that dog here and we'll give some advice.
show0032

Post by show0032 »

I just had to chime in and 3x the springer choice and really second ScarletSci's point that they do love mud! Just took my springer to the dog park and it was a choice of a clean running creak or stale mud and my 6 year old springer went for the mud. lol. However, no matter the grooming cost, they are lovable, kind and gentle with children. All I'd watch out for is how hyper they can be, because that means more walks :lol:
My pup is Luna | http://www.trickstoteachdogs.com is my hobby | dog lover extraordinaire