Best Breeds For First Time Owner

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wyvernfire

Best Breeds For First Time Owner

Post by wyvernfire »

Hi, I will be adopting my first ever dog this summer and I am really excited. I have fostered plenty of dogs from the shelter but the dogs that I loved, weren't quite the right fit or the breed wasn't known for getting along with cats or kids, or considered good 'starter' dogs.

I have kids and cats so they must be good with both.
I roller blade every day for 45 minutes so I want a dog I can tire out, not one that has to run for hours and will tire me out.
I want a dog with an 'off switch' meaning I properly exercise him and he sleeps like a baby when we get home.
Shedding and grooming, not a problem. Pet hair welcome here.
Mutt or purebred, I don't care.

My breed list so far:
Golden Retriever
Labrador Retriever
Poodle
American Cocker Spainel
Pointer

These are the 5 breed of dogs I either haven't fostered or personally met but seen on occasion. They all seem to fit my criteria. Any advice from actual breed owners is great. Let me know if you think they make great family dogs or not, or if they don't fit my criteria at all. This is why I'm doing research several months in advance so I make sure I match the dog :D
Last edited by wyvernfire on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ari_RR

Re: Best Breeds For First Time Owner

Post by Ari_RR »

I doubt that a papillion will be able to run with you while you rollerblade..... Others might though.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Have you considered a greyhound or lurcher? They like to run, but don't need to keep going for ages and have an excellent off switch. A couple of decent walks a day and they'll spend the rest of the day on the sofa, being extremely mellow! Almost all greyhounds & lurchers will be fine with cats and children if raised with them from pups, and just occasionally you get a cat-friendly one in rescues.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
wyvernfire

Post by wyvernfire »

Thanks for your suggestions. I will be modifying my list. :D I will definitely be looking up information on Lurchers and greyhounds.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

I think a pointer might be a bit too much work for a first time owner. Lovely dogs, but very smart, and a keen "work" sense, and that might lead to problems if you're unable to fulfill that.

Do you still foster? 'Cos I'd think that would be a great way to find a dog that you love, that settles well into your family. Even with a puppy you raise from a young age, they may not grow into the type of dog you wanted, regardless of breed tendencies. There's always a risk of a wildcard. If you foster then adopt a specific dog, you know what you're getting.