Rescue dog Uma: which breeds?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MildaMatilda

Rescue dog Uma: which breeds?

Post by MildaMatilda »

Hi,

I'm pretty sure this is the most common question, but I've noticed you being very kind and informative with your thoughts and ideas, so I thought I'd try it out myself.

I would really love to know what breeds could my dog Uma 'consist of'' :) to me she's a lab-shepherd mix. Kind of clumsy, very calm and low energy usually, obedient and affectionate, intelligent and funny at the same time. Hardly ever barks, accepts other people, animals, dogs, children... Also, she often nibbles on everything with her tiny front teeth, whether it's her blanket or my nose. And definitely has a lab walk.

A lot of people have asked me if she's not a belgian mallinois mix, but I don't think so. Some people even said they see some pit in her, especially when she 'smiles', it does seem so, but again, don't think so. What do you think?

JudyN

Re: Rescue dog Uma: which breeds?

Post by JudyN »

I've no idea, but she's a lovely-looking dog - hasn't she got big eyes?!

Jasper does that nibbly thing too, but on soft fleecy toys/clothes. I've a feeling he tends to do it when he's slightly stressed or unsettled, but then when he's totally relaxed he doesn't move a muscle :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
MildaMatilda

Post by MildaMatilda »

Thank you! I must agree that she's gorgeous, and yes, her eyes are big and they remind of horse's eyes :) a lot of passers-by don't believe she's a mix...

and exactly, she nibbles when she's either bored or a little bit frustrated, for example during play.
bendog

Post by bendog »

The ears make me think some kind of podenco in there, or even basenji.

Looks pretty similar to what are considered typical "village" dogs which are like the standard "dog" blueprint.
MildaMatilda

Post by MildaMatilda »

This will sound silly, but thank you bendog! You actually answered a lot of questions!
I googled village dogs, yaller dogs, and similar kinds and indeed found a number that look very alike! The matter is I think that in Lithuania, most of the strays or village dogs tend to be much smaller and usually way more hairy, thus she didn't seem like a typical stray to me. Plus, the language barrier of course, since I hadn't heard this term before (and I work as a teacher of English... Sigh.)

I saw a puppy once on a shelter page that looked exactly the same as Uma, just much younger, and found one in some forum that also looked very similar. so it was obvious to me that she isn't that unique. On the other hand, in Lithuania you don't see such dogs as strays.

Knowing that she has been found wandering in a village looking as in the picture bellow, it makes much more sense :)