American bulldog?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

American bulldog?

Post by bendog »

I'm seeing an awful lot of "American bulldog" crosses around lately. Seems like its the new status dog round here.

And I was wondering how many of these would actually be American bulldogs and how many would be Staffy crosses or pitbull type dogs?! Or if they genuinely are American bulls then is this a trend that's popped up other places as I've only heard of them recently.

Eg:
http://www.wirral.gov.uk/wirraldogs/Det ... ogsID=7600

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/wirraldogs/Det ... ogsID=7597

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/wirraldogs/Det ... ogsID=7426

It's not just a case of mislabelling by this kennel as its something I've seen across Facebook and gumtree too but I didn't want to use a dog that's owned by someone as an example
Nettle

Re: American bulldog?

Post by Nettle »

Going on the pics, the first two are pits and the last might be an American/Victorian/Old Tyme bulldog.

OT and V 'bulldogs' are fairly new crossbreeds created to resemble the bulldog of old when they actually were working dogs and had to be healthy and agile. It's a commendable goal. However, they all have pit in the background, with all that implies for good and less good. The ones I've met, including American Bulldogs, have been sensitive and reactive dogs, but given that I do behaviour work, I'm less likely to meet a calm and 'together' type :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
bendog

Post by bendog »

Thanks Nettle, that's pretty much what I thought.
The pictures Wikipedia throws up of an American bulldog has more of a boxer type face?

I've heard of old tyme bulldogs but never seen one. Although I thought they looked fairly similar to the English bulldog.

I'm sure some are genuine, but it just seemed strange that a few months ago I had never heard of them and now they are everywhere. Seems like its just the latest label to stick on a bully looking cross
lucyandbella

Post by lucyandbella »

The American bulldogs I have met look more similar to boxers but are a little thicker in build, definitely more of boxer look than pit bull looking. Their personality resembles boxers as well, very goofy and friendly. If you have seen the movie homeward bound, chance is a very typical looking American bulldog. Though when I search online I see pics that make American bulldogs look ridiculously squared off and muscular....the ones I have known are more like chance ( my aunt has a female right now). I think they are pretty popular around here (California) as family dogs, and there is not discrimination against he breed like there is against pits (though some do confuse them with pits).

I agree the first 2 are pits, the last could be considered an American bulldog cross if you wanted to claim it as one though it could be something else.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Keep in mind, there are two "types" of American Bulldog - the Scott's and the Johnson's. The Scott's line is smaller (70-90 I think is the norm), more bull-and-terrier type, whereas the Johnson's is bigger (80-120 pounds), with a face more like a boxer's and much more heavily built.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Useful to know - thanks Wes :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Wes

Post by Wes »

Quite welcome! I used to do a lot with pit bull type rescue, so I learned so much about the different breeds in the type - APBTs, AmStaffs, Staffy bull terriers, American bulldogs (both types), Old Tyme bulldogs, etc. A good friend of mine had a lovely Scott's type Am. Bulldog; she looked like a much bigger Rosie!
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Hey there, sorry to hijack your thread but I've been hoping to find members on here with good knowledge of the Old Tyme Bulldog :D
I have a 5 month old OTB x Rottweiler boy, and though I have some experience with rotties the OTB was new to me and I'd love to hear from someone with experience of the breed!
It's also quite an unusual cross as far as I can gather, so I'm rather curious to see how he'll turn out ;)

Any breed info/ pointers/ suggestions for me? Being a 'new' breed I was only able to find limited info before I got him, and would love to learn more. I know the history but thinking more of temperament, behaviour, any potential issues to be aware of, training and so on :) Thanks!
PeppermintPanda

Post by PeppermintPanda »

The first one looks almost identical to my dog, Aston. He's a Staffordshire Bull Terrier X. We think the X part might be Boxer but no one is sure.

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o64 ... 2113fd.jpg

My biggest fear is that he will be mistaken for a pit bull type dog. I've already had several people stop and ask me if he's an APBT. I've looked on the internet and while some of the pit bull images don't look at all like Aston, others do. It's really rather worrying.

My daughter told me that Aston's first owners had him for the status of owning a chunky, muscular dog and she took him on as a companion for her Staffordshire/Shar Pei girl but sadly her girl didn't get on with Aston. Hence my ownership of him.

I would hate for him to be mislabelled. He's a friendly, happy soul and non aggressive.
In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog