Truly at wits end!

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kmmr

Truly at wits end!

Post by kmmr »

Hello. We have a 5 year old American Cocker Spaniel and I love her to death. Unfortunately my husband and 2 teen boys don' t care for her because of her poor bladder issues. I must admit that I am starting to agree with them. She constantly exhibits submissive/excitable urination and is now peeing for no apparent reason. Just this evening I walked in and totally ignored her, placed my things down, turned around and saw her walking away from me leaving a long line of urine behind her. I have been giving her Phenylpropanolamine (23mg) for over week (without my vet's knowledge, but I am an RN) and have not seen any change. I am so close to adopting her out. A couple of changes in our household: we got a female mini dachshund (now 4 years old) about 3 years ago and a male beagle (now 9 years old) just this past June. Please help me so that I can keep my dog in her family.
WufWuf

Re: Truly at wits end!

Post by WufWuf »

You'll get more views if you repost this in the Dog Training Advice section of the forum.

Could you also give us a bit more information on your dogs life, everything you can think of including how long you've had your ACS, where you got her, is she spayed, if so when was she done, what exercise and training she gets daily, how much time does she spend alone each day and what is her relationship like with the other dogs?

The first thing that I would suggest is that you get a full vet check done if you haven't already. You may need to provide a urine sample so it would be a good idea to bring one with you.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

For sure the very first thing to do is get a thorough vet check. And I also agree about taking along a urine sample, if you can get one.
I'm not familiar with the medicine you mention giving your dog, but meds don't always react in dogs the same way as humans, and doses don't always transfer well either. So I'd discuss this with your vet as well.

I'm so glad you came here seeking help before actually adopting her out because doing so without knowing the cause of her urinating (whether it be a physical issue or a behavioral one) would most likely doom her to a life of being passed from home to home or banished permanently to the outside before finally being euthanized.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
kmmr

Post by kmmr »

Thank you WufWuf and Suzette. I will repost in Dog Training and see what they advise too.
We brought Lady (she was 3 months old) into our home from a pet store who only sells through breeders. She has CKC papers, but we never filed them. She was spayed at about 6 months. She gets along wonderfully with our mini dachshund (Bella) but is intimidated by our beagle (Darwin). I must admit that she doesn't' t get that much exercise and limited training (potty, "sit"). We own two properties: one with a large back yard and the other that you have to walk the dog on a lead up and down stairs and around the area to do their business at least 4 Times daily. I am usually at home all day aside from running errands, riding lessons, and volunteering but those only take a few hours. The longest I'm gone is when I work part time as a teacher and that' s about twice a month or less.
I will take her to the vet and get her checked out. The med. I mentioned is for dogs but I' m sure the dosage is probably not suitable. I agree about adopting her out with "issues" and this is the last thing I want to do, she is my baby girl, but it's beyond frustrating.