training treats

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mydog99

training treats

Post by mydog99 »

what are some good treats to use in training that are very smelly so the dog can notice them? I use chicken but it is not to high value for my dog
Suzette

Re: training treats

Post by Suzette »

I make my own liver treats. I just boils some beef liver for about five minutes (some skip this step, but I have better results boiling first), drain and rinse off the scummy stuff left on the liver, cut into tiny pieces, place on a cookie sheet in a single layer and put in warm oven (about 250 degrees) for an hour or two. Stir around a couple times while baking. When they seem dry, but still a bit chewy, they're done. You can keep these in your fridge for several days or they stay for months in your freezer.

These are very high value treats that most dogs will do anything for! :D

Oh, and I like to line my baking sheet with either non-stick foil or parchment paper. It just makes clean up afterwards a breeze! :D :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
minkee

Post by minkee »

Just for clarity's sake, that'd be 250 fahrenheit :D which is ~120 celcius for us Brits :)
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

With 20 sled dogs in my recreational dog mushing kennel I go through a LOT of treats, especially during summer when we must focus on mental stimulation more than physical exercise. I'm very partial to "Trainer's Edge" treats, produced by Redpaw feeds (a high performance dog good specialty company). First ingredient in the list is salmon, the nutritional numbers are very good for working dogs, and they are the perfect size (very, very small) for behavior training work (I use a clicker for stationary behaviors). I've never yet seen an Alaskan husky, Siberian husky, Alaskan Malamute or Canadian Inuit Dog who wouldn't work hard to earn them.

https://redpawdogfood.com/products/trainersedge

Another good option is a product called "Yummy Chummies" (http://www.yummychummies.com/). Nutritionally I don't think they are as good as the Trainer's Edge treats, and they are considerably larger, so need to be broken up, but my dogs are willing to work hard to earn them.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

We use hot dogs--easy to cut up, put a bunch in a tupperware container and it's easy to grab what you need in a hurry.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

minkee wrote:Just for clarity's sake, that'd be 250 fahrenheit :D which is ~120 celcius for us Brits :)
Thanks Minkee. I am terrible at converting the two temperatures, but I could have at least looked it up! :oops:
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

abbyneo wrote:We use hot dogs--easy to cut up, put a bunch in a tupperware container and it's easy to grab what you need in a hurry.
I wish I could use hotdogs with Piper. For some reason, they are one of the very few things that upsets her stomach. :?
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

Abby would literally do ANYTHING for a hot dog. I think I could train her to drive a car if there were enough hot dogs involved! She's usually very kind and soft-mouthed when she takes treats, but all bets are off for hot dogs :D
Erica

Post by Erica »

That's already been done, Abby. ;) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20614593
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

Erica wrote:That's already been done, Abby. ;) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20614593
Oh my goodnessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss that is fantastic! There was a pic that was on an old phone that is now at the bottom of the dog pond of Abby and Neo both in the front seat of the car, one of them bent down so it looked like one was going to push the gas and the other was going to steer. I'm not sure I'd let Abby drive me around though..I have a feeling we'd always end up at the grocery store...