Pit Bull "Type"

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lewisphipps

Pit Bull "Type"

Post by lewisphipps »

I'm sure that any of you that have read my recent posts know that we have recently adopted a 1.5yr old American Bulldog and we've had some problems between him and our current dog, a SBT X who is 12 months (in 8 days :D). Fortunately we're due to see a qualified behaviorist to help us to address their issues and decide how we should progress and things are already calming down (I'll leave an update on the other post soon!)

Snoop (the Bulldog) is a very big boy and attracts a lot of attention (unfortunately negative). Somebody in our local park called the police and made an accusation that my partner and I were fighting the dogs (we had them separately leashed and were walking in opposite directions due to a purely vocal disagreement over a stick to calm things down). An officer arrived whilst we were still in the park and dismissed the accusations when we explained our situation and he petted both dogs and was happy to see that they were both very friendly and happy to say hello to him. However, he expressed concerned over our staffy cross ***** and has taken our details just because a complaint was logged. I'm worried that he thinks our girl may be a 'pit bull type' as he was asking if we had papers for her and other questions about her parentage and remarked that she didn't look like a pure staff.

The thing is, is that the UK system at the moment is whack, and what with BSL being in the public eye, I'm worried that people of varying opinions are concerned with the law being fulfilled. If I attached a few pictures of our girl and some details of height/weight, is there anybody who could tell me if she's likely to fit the 'type' so I can find out more about what rights I have if they do come knocking? I know it's not as simple as identifying a breed by a breed standard; Labradors to bull mastiffs have been confiscated within our area under the accusation of being a 'pit-type', but I thought perhaps understanding how much she configures could put my mind at ease.

Sorry for another long winded post!

Much appreciated!

Lewis
lewisphipps

Re: Pit Bull "Type"

Post by lewisphipps »