breeds good with other animals

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

filmax

breeds good with other animals

Post by filmax »

what is a dog breed that is good with other dogs, cats and small animals? A friend I know already has a dog, one cat and a rabbit. I suggested a lab. Is that good?
bendog

Re: breeds good with other animals

Post by bendog »

Basically no hunting dog - so no lurchers, terriers, etc

A lab might be ok but really it depends on the personality of the dog and how they are introduced and so on. What breed is the other dog?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I wouldn't trust any dog not to kill a rabbit. The odd individual might be okay but there's only one way to find out, which isn't a good prospect for the rabbit. It isn't a breed thing - all dogs are predators, and if your friend has one dog that is fine with the rabbit, it's sheer luck.

Two dogs will also do what one dog may not think about - so a second dog could well teach the first what fun it is to attack the rabbit.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
CarolineLovesDogs

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

Labrador Retriever's could be okay but yes, just like has been said, every dog is different and every dog was originally a hunter so you would have to be careful. Careful, CAREFUL observations of the way they interact would be vital, early introductions, picking out the right one, extensive positive reinforcement training, et cetera. If the rabbit is just running free outside or even in the house that could spur the dog's hunting instinct even once he has seemingly gotten along with it in the past.
And yes, as has been said, no terriers, lurchers, boxers, bulldogs, et cetera. While any dog can be taught I would say... this is one interesting situation! :lol:
I have a question- is the rabbit in a cage usually or always running free? If he is always running free, inside or outside? This information will further help us to evaluate the situation.
I would say, make sure you know what you are doing. Good luck, and take care! :D
Lottie

Post by Lottie »

My friend has two small cockerpoos and they get on well with her two rabbits.

Not sure about a labrador - I have a labradoodle and chasing cats is just fun to her and she is very curious about them. I don't think you could guarentee any dog would be friends with a cat or rabbit really as their natural reaction would be to chase.