boxers

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

filmax

boxers

Post by filmax »

how are boxers as pets? anyone own one? are they protective or friendly to all
abbyneo

Re: boxers

Post by abbyneo »

I have a 4 year old spayed female boxer. She is absolutely wonderful-a bed hog, loves kids and people, and gets along with our younger dog (almost 1 year old). I'd say she's protective but in a way that I like..she knows what her house is supposed to look and sound like, and if something is different about it (someone knocks at the door, or a loud sound), she barks to let us know. There's no doubt in my mind that if I was in danger, she would protect me. She's growled at a few people that she didn't like and who weren't petting her in a way that's appropriate for someone to be petting a dog.

Long story short, if you couldn't tell, I love boxers....my girl is like my child. As a breed I think they tend to be pretty active (mine is pretty lazy however) so you'll need to make sure you have plenty of time for physical and mental exercise. I don't know how they are as puppies, Abby joined us when she was already "grown up" (as grown-up as a boxer can be.... :lol: ) but I assume they're just like all other puppies..wild, crazy, rambunctious, and need to be watched constantly for at least awhile.

Good luck on your research!
CarolineLovesDogs

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

Hello,
I don't personally have a Boxer but a few of my family's friends do and overall you can count on having a loyal, friendly, outgoing, spirited pet that loves attention. They need positive reinforcement but with it blossom into wonderful dogs. They do however need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation and atttention must be payed in the hot summer months- or just times when the weather is warm and they are exercised- that they don't suffer from heat stroke. They might not get along with other animals but with reward based training this too can greatly improve. You asked if they'll be a good guard dog- while if a dog feels particularly devoted to their family they may protect them if need be, just getting the breed doesn't really guarentee it. Training for this is extensive so I'd say just hope for a WATCH dog- which is alerting with a bark when someone comes to the dog, but then teaching them to quiet down when the door is opened. :mrgreen:
Just like any breed, Boxers have their pros and cons.
Note, that not every dog is the same. Of course dogs attitudes are shaped (but can change to whatever extent) from early socialization and training as well as environmental influences. Even bad breeding can cause problems! So, do you homework! :wink:
Take care! :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Like many breeds, they have genetic health issues which means sourcing one carefully. If you dislike slobber, this is not a breed for you!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
filmax

Post by filmax »

what are some cons?
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Not having one myself, although friends have a few - I don't really know a heck of a lot about Boxers.

But one thing - and this certainly applies to Ridgebacks as well - having a big and scary looking dog with menacing bark and "perhaps I should eat you" expression makes it a bit challenging at times when interacting with other humans. And they are indeed big and scary looking, and in general not the friendliest kind of dog towards humans. So think of your environment, and how much opinion of others matters to you. Non-dog folks often misinterpret "big and scary looking" as "nasty and aggressive", and "small and fluffy" as "nice and friendly".

If you envision walking your dog in areas densely populated with humans accustomed to coming over uninvited and touching/hugging/petting strange dogs - this may be an issue, because your boxer is unlikely to be thrilled with this, and either he will tell those "dog lovers" to keep away, in very clear terms... Or, which is much better for all involved, you will have to keep them away. In either case, you may find your popularity in the neighborhood quickly evaporating.

There are of course examples of Ridgebacks, Boxers and other such breeds being very tolerant, never growling at strangers invading their private space, and so on.. Some just have laid back and chill personality, which is great, but not every one is like this. Others have been extremely well trained, are very confident in their owners, have no fear/reactivity issues,etc. This is possible to achieve, but requires either a lot of experience or a lot of effort, or perhaps both.

To make a long story short, my 2 cents is that having a large, scary looking, not very friendly towards strangers dog may be a con in some circumstances. The very same thing may be a pro in other circumstances, of course.
Erica

Post by Erica »

It's not only people that find boxers scary-looking: many dogs take exception to boxers because their breed traits (upright posture, stiff carriage, their face shape) are all pretty threatening in dog terms. Your boxer might be okay with other dogs depending on how it's raised, but other dogs might not like your boxer.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14