submissive peeing

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Teddy

submissive peeing

Post by Teddy »

Please help !!!! I have a sweet 4 month old standard poodle , she goes out to potty really good with no problems except sometimes when shes in her crate and its time to go out to potty she will pee a little before I put het leash on . Yesterday she jumped on the coach and peed a little before I finish putting on her leash , whenever she does that I try to hurry and run outside so she could finish . I try to stay calm and never raise my voice. I'm not sure what to do to help her.
Maxy24

Re: submissive peeing

Post by Maxy24 »

Is she excited or nervous when you are hooking her up? If you think it's nervousness you could likely counter condition her to be happy and confident when you take her collar and latch her leash. Excitement pee is a bit different, you'd need to find a way to keep her calmer. Maybe teach her to lie down when you latch her...do you think she'd pee while lying down? In either case I think doing some training around the leash attaching process might make her less likely to pee, the whole thing will be more of a training task that she's working to perform.
Erica

Post by Erica »

And are you sure you're taking her out often enough? If you cut the time she waits between potty breaks in half (when possible), does the peeing still happen?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Teddy

Post by Teddy »

I take her out when she wake up from a nap after she eats , I try to take out probably more than she need. I'm not sure why she does this because it only happens when she is first let out the crate , once shes been out its not a problem .
doggiedad

Post by doggiedad »

i think you should take her out more often. how long do you leave her in
her crate? if she's in her crate for a few hours take her out within a hour
or every 1/2 hour. when my dog was a pup he was out every 15 minutes,
every 15 minutes became every 1/2 hour, every 1/2 hour became 45 minutes
and so. over night my pup was out every 2 hours, then every 3 hours and so on.
Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Thanks for the advice , we have enrolled in puppy classes starting in three weeks . I pray being around other dogs and people will help her . She is a very good girl and very smart, I am so excited to start the classes with her .