Guess the breeds?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Guess the breeds?

Post by bendog »

Here are my cousins two collies. She got them from a rescue at 12 weeks old (obviously not a good rescue to give a first time dog owner who worked full time two collie puppies together :evil: ). She was told they were pure collie. I doubt that, I certainly see a lot of German Shepherd in one, and he acts very German Shepherdy too. But the curly tail on the other has me baffled. Also - they were brothers apparently but don't look that alike.

I won't go into their training issues, but they are actually very sweet, very bright dogs and it's just a shame they ended up with my cousin since she doesn't exercise them anywhere near enough.
They are 6 to 12 months old in these pics. They are 18 months now.

Suzette

Re: Guess the breeds?

Post by Suzette »

Not full collies, that's for sure. :D But both are lovely looking dogs. I too see german shepherd in the one dog with the flopped ears, and I wonder if the other with the pricked ears has a bit of basenji in him. Since the rescue played fast and loose with saying they're pure collies, I wouldn't put too much stock in them actually being brothers either. :wink:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

There's something about the set of the legs that makes me think they could be brothers though - or half brothers? If the ***** has mated with more than one male can the pups have different fathers?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

JudyN wrote:There's something about the set of the legs that makes me think they could be brothers though - or half brothers? If the ***** has mated with more than one male can the pups have different fathers?
I'm not saying they aren't brothers, but I wouldn't put much stock in it either. :wink: Either way, they're handsome boys and yes since the female will often mate several times while in season, it's possible that the father could be different for each, perhaps in this case, even likely.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
bendog

Post by bendog »

I wouldn't think it was likely that the rescue, however rubbish, would just happen to get two collie pups at the same time and then think, oh let's stick them together and say they are brothers.

I hadn't thought of basenji, they are rare here, I was thinking more Akita or similar but then he doesn't have the fur to go with it.

The German shepherdy one is a one in a million dog, just a shame he hasn't had the right training.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Some more recent photos if it helps with breed guesses?!
They are just over 2 years old now.

Also be interested in what people make of their body language, both seem quite nervous to me.
Dog 1 is fear aggressive to people and dogs

Dog 1:

Dog 2:

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yep, dog 1 doesn't look happy. Her tail's wagging, but given her ears & head carriage, I'd say appeasement rather than happiness.

Harder to say with dog 2.

I'm seeing GSD & collie in dog 1. Dog 2 definitely partly collie, but what else has me stumped. He has light brown legs, though, which increases the chances that they are in fact brothers.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
gwd

Post by gwd »

when i saw the thread, i made a decision to not look at your text so that i wasn't predisposed to seeing a certain breed. i decided to just go to the pictures 'cold' and make my call.

the one def looks shepherd mix...........when i got to the other one i did a gasp and said, 'wow, cannan dog!

now, i don't know how common those are in the uk..........but damn, it looks rather like it.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

I second the Canaan dog vote. They've got a good mix of breeds in there, but the build and stance that they both have looks Canaan. One of the first pics of the darker coloured boy, look at the shape of his head then look at the Canaan pics. Then there is definitely some collie in there, and possibly some german shepherd as well. They're gorgeous dogs, I'd love to take them home with me!

I don't think Canaan's are that common in the UK, but I've seen a couple.