Mini Schnauzer Questions

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dawnflight1984

Mini Schnauzer Questions

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I have some burning questions about my dog, Oreo, that I can't seem to find answers fOr. Hope I can find answers here!

1. I live in Singapore where it is hot and humid all year round (averages 30 deg C/ 86 deg F). My 8 mth old MS likes to laze under the direct sun every day. Should I be worried about her getting a heat stroke? She doesn't drink water frequently even though a fresh and ample supply is made readily available for her.

2. Oreo is very friendly towards other people and dogs and she always acts like she's meeting a long-lost friend when she sees them, drowning them with sloppy kisses and running up to meet them. However, her exuberance mostly scares the strangers and other dogs off because it gets rather overboard. When I spoke with her vet about it (because she was greeted in the same way) the vet doesn't think it's much of an issue, "Better an over-friendly dog than a timid and aggressive one" was her comment but it's really turning others who are not as comfortable around dogs off. What can I do?

3. Oreo is toilet-trained to go on a pee tray at home. My mum likes to leave a light on at night so that she doesn't "bump into things" or "step on her mess" if she goes in the middle of the night. I think that's unnecessary because dogs can see well in the dark (I think). Who's right?

Hope to hear from everyone soon!
Ari_RR

Re: Mini Schnauzer Questions

Post by Ari_RR »

Hi. My 2 cents..

2. And if you were to leave for a while and then come back, she would greet you the same (over the top) way? In this case you may want to try ignoring her until she settles down a bit... Then respond with all the fuss and hugs and kisses. But just stay quiet and still, no reaction to her, until she settles down.. And ask Mum and a couple of friends to practice this also. Maybe soon she will realize that calm greeting draws the response, and it will start becoming a habit.

3. I don't have any scientific proof.. And I tend to do what your Mum does (leaving some low light on).
But even when I forget - my boy can find his way from downstairs living room (where he falls asleep) to upstairs bedroom (where his bed is) in the dark, and settle down in his bed. So, I think between all his senses he can navigate in the darkness, at least in a dark house.

1. - don't know..
dontpugme

Re: Mini Schnauzer Questions

Post by dontpugme »

1. I spend a few months of the year in the Philippines, so I know what you mean about being worried about heatstroke in the hot/humid weather. I have had pugs in the US and there, and the pugs in the Philippines seemed more tolerant of the heat. The fact that she always has water is great. Just watch for excessive panting or any changes in the appearance of the tongue and gums or if she seems a bit disoriented.

2. same as Ari

3. Pretty much same as Ari...Dogs' primary sense is smell not sight like us. :wink: We usually keep some of those plug-in night lights in hallways and in the rooms max likes to sleep in so we don't step on his paw or tail. If we're out at night, we leave a larger light on to deter someone from breaking in.
--dontpugme