What breed of dog should I get?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ClareMarsh

Re: What breed of dog should I get?

Post by ClareMarsh »

Ah, she's a cutie :D

I have a long haired chihuahua, Ted, it's me that Minkee referred to earlier :D I do have a bag for Ted and I predominately use it for:

- Train journeys so he can rest and also to keep him safe and away from people trying to pet him :roll:
- Long walks (I am very active) as he is still only 9 months so can't walk more than about 45 mins twice a day. Although he's only 6lbs my arm goes numb if I carry him too far :lol:
- Anytime I need to carry him and don't have both hands free

So given you will have kids to supervise too on the school run I would be using a bag for that to be on the safe side. I would get her used to it first before you start taking her out in it.

Also whilst I'm on I'd like to share my thoughts on carrying small dogs, we often have people come on here who's dog suddenly won't let them pick it up and I think this is avoidable if you know and work with the following:

Dogs don't like to be picked up generally as a rule and they also don't like being restrained so carrying them it a bit alien to them. They can get to be comfortable with it and they can get to like it and want to be carried but don't assume this the case. I see dogs being carried about showing signs of stress (lip licking, yawning, turning away etc) quite frequently.

Always let your dog know it is going to be picked up, this means never grabbing it form behind, never snatching at her. Equally coming at her from straight on is very threatening in the dog world so I always crouch next to Ted to lift him. Even if he is sitting because he wants to be lifted onto the sofa etc he will still jump away if someone tries to pick him up by walking straight towards him.

Once I have my hands holding him I wait a split second, Ted quickly learnt to jump at this point, which of course he didn't need to do but for me this serves two purposes, it means I am sure he is comfortable with being lifted at that moment and also it gives him a feeling that this is something we are doing together rather than me just swopping him up.

Once lifted you do need two hands as if the dog wriggles and you are holding one handed the risk of it falling is very high. I usually have a hold on Teds harness too so that if he suddenly sees something and wants to go to it (he doesn't do this often but better safe than sorry) he can't fall.

I also make sure that I hold him in a way that he is sitting or standing on my hand/arm. I think this is important as otherwise it is uncomfortable, he doesn't feel like he's got any control and literally can't move. I see dogs carried like clutch bags who are clearly stressed out by it :shock: He's not a fan of my Dad picking him up either as no matter how many times I tell him my Dad seems to feel the need to hold Ted like a baby :roll:

That's just my two penneth, I think it's important to be able to safely carry little dogs so that if you need to carry them (like a reeeaaaly busy high street) you can. I hope this helps and you don't think its patronising, it's just we see the fall out of getting this wrong too often :shock:

Edited to add: When you start taking her for a walk I would look at is as time on her lead on the ground rather than distance covered. Dogs don't come programmed to trot along side us and at first EVERYTHING is going to be interesting/scary/need exploring so you won't get far :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

For all tiny dogs out there whose humans walk a lot - I saw a guy the other day who had a backpack designed for carrying a dog..and there was a little dog in there looking out.. Seemed like a convenient solution to me. The guy actually had 2 dogs and was on a long walk with them - the big one was running on her own, the tiny one was in the backpack, and the guy said he would let the tiny one out every so often, so she can walk a little, sniff around, then put her back in and continue... Sounded like a nice way to walk both large and tiny dogs at the same time, while having both hands free..
bendog

Post by bendog »

Agreed Ari, my Nan has friends who did similar, they live in the Lake District and had 2 whippets and an eldery Bichon. The whippets when on a long 4 mile + fell walk each day, and the Bichon walked the first half hour or so and then went in the back pack.

I'm thinking of getting Sash used to a backpack so she can come out with me since the other two will walk for hours. But she is 20lbs so hard work for me to carry!

Poppy travelled in a bag when she was too little to go out, so I could walk Ben, however once she got a little older she started wriggling and wanted to walk everywhere instead, so play it by ear and listen to your dog and hopefully she'll let you know when she's happy to walk and when she's tired and wants a carry!
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Just to clarify on Ari's point re tiny dogs with longer distance walker owners. Young dogs do need their exercise restricting due to growing still but once mature an adult chi will quite happily out walk many larger breeds(confirmed to me by owners of both types of dog :D ). This is something I looked into before I got Ted and once he's mature I will be building his stamina so that he can do long walks with us.

I've met people who have had their Chis walk happily all day with them so as Bendog says listen to your dog and don't underestimate the teenies :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids