What breed of dog should I get?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shelli90

What breed of dog should I get?

Post by Shelli90 »

Hi everyone :D
I am looking for some advice on what breed of dog to get for me and my family, I have 2 children that are aged 9 and 7, I am at home all day so no worries on caring for the new dog :D
I would like to have a small breed of dog,like a toy size breed. (not a tiny little one like a chihuahua,yorkshire terrier etc..)
The qualitys I really would like are: a very low to non-moulting coat, as me and my husband can not stand the thought of hair everywhere, A breed of dog that is very friendly and very good with children, easy to train so no head strong breeds, low energy, (obviously all dogs need a good walk but not one that needs like 2 - 3 long walks a day!) A breed of dog that is not prone to barking would be good, a small amout is fine but I really don't want a yappy dog!
I would be really grateful for any sugestions/advice, Thanks! :D
bendog

Re: What breed of dog should I get?

Post by bendog »

First of all well done for considering what you do and don't want in a dog.

But remember if you get a puppy it WILL be hard work, even with the lowest energy breeds.
If you can try and "dog sit" for a friends dog or puppy for a day or a few days if you can manage it and make sure you can meet its needs.

We had my first dog on trial for two weeks before we agreed to take it, just to be sure we could handle it.

I'd suggest a Bichon Frise, they are usually friendly sweet little dogs, don't shed much (but need brushing often), don't need too much walking and won't be yappy if you keep them mentally occupied enough.
Shelli90

Post by Shelli90 »

Thanks for the well done and the responce! I have wanted a dog for a very long time, and i have read lots and lots of information about lots of different breeds of dogs, they all have so many things that i do and dont want, i do realise that a puppy will be lots of work, i was thinking for the future once the puppy has grown how it will be energy wise, as i didnt really want a dog that is bounding around everywhere all the time and needs 2-3 walks a day as i don't think i would beable to give it that many walks a day.
I love your sugestion of a Bichon frise it is already one of my top breeds i was thinking of getting anyway! :D , my friend has one and it is adorable, the only thing that puts me off about it is they so white! lol and the tear staining they can get :? and i have heard they can be hard to housebreak. I know they take alot of grooming but that does not bother me, as i stated before i'm at home most of the time so brushing daily and regular clipping is no problem.Do you think a cross between a bichon frise and a black minature poodle would be good? as they may turn out like a bichon but with a black coat instead? Any other sugestions would be great! Thanks :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Welcome and as Bendog says, respect for putting so much thought into what breed is right for you :D

There's just one thing that concerns me... you say that you don't like the idea of dog hair everywhere, which suggests to me that you are fairly houseproud. Do bear in mind that as well as hair, dogs will bring mud into the house, and puppies will leave a trail of chewed up articles in their wake... not only things you gave to them intending for them to chew, but also phones, shoes, socks, important paperwork.... :lol: the inevitable pees and poos are only part of it!

You may be absolutely fine with all this - but I thought I'd mention it as puppies can be stressful as well as hard work, and you really don't want to be feeling you have to mop your kitchen floor five times a day :lol:

I've just been googling pictures of "bichon poos". Cute or what? :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I have to add my own kudos to you for thinking this through before you get a dog!!

I found an interesting site you might like to look at. You put in what you're looking for in a dog breed, and it comes up with breeds that meet your criteria. It's not fool-proof, but it's fun and might help you narrow the list down and maybe even consider a breed you might not have thought of before.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

Also, once you have an idea of the breed/breeds that you think will be good fit for your family, think about going to your local shelter to see if they have some dogs that fit your needs that could use a loving home. :D :D

Good luck!
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

With the greatest of respect, I think you REALLY need to have a good hard think about what you can change on your list of priorities here.

You want a small dog - ok, but they actually have some pretty high energy and mental requirements, the ones you are particularly interested in, the non shedding or low shedding ones, being the poodles, mini schnauzers, bichons are all very smart little dogs who will require a LOT of time as pups and a fair amount of time as adults, both walking AND training, every day.

If you cannot commit to at least one decent walk a day, plus training/games/other interaction, then I think you have to reconsider having a dog at all.

I would also caution you to avoid LIKE THE PLAGUE, 'designer' crossbreeds - as these will not offer you anything a pedigree cannot offer, and if you want a crossbreed who may turn out looking way different from what you expected, you might as well go to a shelter or rescue rather than support puppy mills and commercial breeders who are ONLY interested in your money and not the pups welfare.

If you for example, want a black bichon looking dog - get a poodle and have it clipped, when its adult, as a Bichon would be. Thats perfectly possible.

Again unfortunately most of the smaller breeds are quite noisy, particularly those with terrier influence.

Many of your requirements are achievable BUT you have to be prepared to put in the work required and I am really not sure you have a reasonable expectation of what that is - to put it into context, its not far short of the same work you would put into raising a baby!

Sure, there are people who take shortcuts - and those people wind up with dogs who live crated in teh garage and have a miserable life, or who come here because their husband or wife wants rid of the dog, or the dog lands in a shelter. A puppy is at the start, a full time job - if your children are old enough and responsible enough to help it obviously can be done, but if you are busy taking children to places, find they don't want to help or are frightened of a puppy biting them (all puppies bite!) etc, it may not be so easy.

I would strongly advise that you go and visit some responsible reputable breeders of the breeds you like - those will be hobby breeders who show and/or work their dogs, they should quiz you in depth about your life and kids and work and expectations from a dog. They should give you a 'warts and all' picture of owning their breed and welcome any questions. They will health test their dogs as recommended by the breed club/society, and the very LAST consideration will be money.

If someone has both parents, ask them why their stud dog is th BEST match for their *****. If the answer is 'I bought him because he is the best match' ok, if the answer is something like 'ah hes so lovely' or 'well the other dogs are too far away' or they just look at you blankly... walk away.

If they do not show, or work their dogs - how do they know their dogs are good examples of the breed? If they do not health test (note a 'vet check' is not a health test - you want to be asking about elbows, hearts, hips, eyes and how their dogs scores or results for these tests compare with the breed average) walk away.

Go and visit people BEFORE they have litters, so you get a true picture of the breed as adults and are not swayed by cute puppies. Walk away from anyone who seems to be a puppy farmer, puppy mill or just someone who stuck two dogs together to make a bit of money.

A dog is a 12 - 15 year commitment, put as MUCH thought into this as you would into deciding to move in with someone, marry them, have a child etc - any less and you are likely to make a mistake that is both financially AND emotionally costly.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Erica

Post by Erica »

Suzette wrote:I have to add my own kudos to you for thinking this through before you get a dog!!

I found an interesting site you might like to look at. You put in what you're looking for in a dog breed, and it comes up with breeds that meet your criteria. It's not fool-proof, but it's fun and might help you narrow the list down and maybe even consider a breed you might not have thought of before.

Also, once you have an idea of the breed/breeds that you think will be good fit for your family, think about going to your local shelter to see if they have some dogs that fit your needs that could use a loving home. :D :D

Good luck!
While this site has a great compilation of breeds and is pretty good about telling you about energy level, shedding, etc, do NOT listen to the "alpha dog" and "leader of the pack" bull poo they throw in there! ;)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Erica wrote:
Suzette wrote:I have to add my own kudos to you for thinking this through before you get a dog!!

Good luck!
While this site has a great compilation of breeds and is pretty good about telling you about energy level, shedding, etc, do NOT listen to the "alpha dog" and "leader of the pack" bull poo they throw in there! ;)

Thank you for adding that Erica!! :D I absolutely meant to add this disclaimer to my post and simply forgot. Yes, that dreck they add about alpha and pack leader stuff is terribly outdated and flat out wrong. I've actually written to them asking them to educate themselves and then update that part of their site.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm also concerned at the number of dogs deemed suitable for people who have very little time to exercise them and live in apartments. As this is even lower than the '1-3 times a week' category, it implies pretty well no walking at all.

If I have a small garden and can walk the dog 1-3 times a week I can have a goldendoodle :shock: :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shelli90

Post by Shelli90 »

Thanks to everyone for the replys! I would just like to say that I am fully aware of the responsability and ''mess'' a puppy can make, and when i said about the walks, i did not mean i would not want to walk the dog , my new dog would get a walk a day plus, playtime in the house and garden!I was mearly looking for a breed of dog that would suit that kind of routine as i would not want to get a breed of dog that needed more than that, as it would not be fair to them! I have looked on many sites where you fill in a questionare, but i was hoping for advice from people who actually maybe own a breed or know of a breed that would fit what i was looking for. And just for the people concered I also have never agreed with the concept of the "alpha dog" or "pack leader" to train dogs that why I came to Victoria's forum, hoping to find like minded people with some advice! again anyone who has any sugestions of what breed of dog would be good for what i am looking for please let me know! Thanks :D
Erica

Post by Erica »

What I would suggest is doing some of the questionnaire things, finding breeds you think might work for you from there, then posting those here so we can tell you what we personally know about the breed. :)

I hope we can help you pick and raise a dog happily!

Some breeds that might work for you:
Miniature/Toy Poodle: Small, but extremely intelligent! You can have them cut in a show cut or keep them in a "puppy cut" (length the same all over) for a less prissy look. ;)
Miniature Schnauzer: Apparently have a somewhat low-pitched bark. I may be biased; Schnauzers have always seemed adorable to me. They require a daily brush to keep mats from forming in their coats, though.
Bichon Frise: My neighbors had one, and he was quite a sweetheart. Apparently they don't tend to bark much. Should be either groomed often or kept in a short clip.
Cocker Spaniel: One of my friends has one...he's a bit dopey, but sweet and fairly calm. I think most Cockers are a bit smarter than him. ;)
Norfolk/Norwich Terrier: Working terriers, but apparently are adaptable to anything from farm to city life.
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel: Fairly popular pets. Apparently pretty calm and not requiring tons of exercise. Requires weekly brushing.
Papillon: Despite their long coat, apparently don't require too much grooming.
Pomeranian: Long coats require regular grooming, but can be a great family dog. (Both my sister and myself want a Pom eventually.) Can also be kept in a puppy cut; see Boo the dog for an adorable example.
Pugs: Be especially careful with finding a good breeder for these dogs; their really squished faces mean that incautious breeding easily creates breathing trouble.
Yorkshire Terrier: Long coat requires regular brushing. Friendly and loves interacting with their family.
Boston Terrier: As with Pugs, needs a careful selection of breeder, but are great family dogs. Require minimal grooming.

I looked through dogs I consider "small" on the AKC website, and eliminated ones with "watchdog" or "barky" in their description. It is worth noting that any dog breed can produce a bored barker, and any dog breed, given proper stimulation, can be fairly quiet. :)

If you find a breed you like, the next step is to meet some of them - if you have responsible local breeders, even if they don't have puppies at the moment, they may let you meet their dogs to see if you like the breed's personality, and will likely interview you to see if you're a good fit for the breed. They may also be able to recommend a good breeder for you.

You can also look for breed rescues, or type rescues - there are some rescues that focus on, say, black dogs, or small dogs, or hound dogs or dogs from certain situations...sometimes they'll have puppies, if you aren't interested in an adult dog.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
bendog

Post by bendog »

Hmmm....I'd perhaps avoid terriers from that list. Unless your kids are dog mad and willing to do loads of work with them.
Yorkies can often be yappy, and I'm not sure about Norfolk terriers, but if they are anything like other terriers they'll need tons of exercise even though only small.

Same for Cocker spaniels - need a lot of exercise.
Though King Charles Spaniels are happier with less walking. And don't seem to need as much mental exercise to wear them out either.

I still feel a Bichon would suit you. They are smart dogs, but don't get bored as easily as Poodles.
Or a Corgi? Its not a breed I know much about, but they are small and low maintainence regarding grooming.

The other thing is to consider your kids. You are getting a puppy, so whatever breed you do get will probably (hopefully) be part of the family until the kids are grown up. Are your children boys or girls, and how much do you expect them to help out with the dog re: walking/training either now or in the future?

For example some teenage boys might feel embarrassed walking a toy/cutie breed like a Poodle, but would be more willing to walk a terrier or spaniel.
If you or your kids are wanting a dog they can teach lots of tricks too then you need a smart trick orientated dog that enjoys learning. Many dogs are smart enough to learn tricks but don't see the point, or are a little slow to grasp what you are trying to teach etc.

As Erica suggested it would be helpful if you could name a few breeds you like, or breeds you are considering and then we can help you make a better choice. For example I personally love terriers/lurchers etc so I would never buy any of the breeds I am suggesting for you! But they sound like they might fit your lifestyle. My last suggestion would be a whippet, need space for a good run, but 1 walk a day would probably be enough if it was a decent length and had decent space to run off lead, barely bark, don't really shed much, and calm in the house. But again, if you want a cute and cuddly dog then this probably isn't for you.
Shelli90

Post by Shelli90 »

Thanks again for the responces! :D
To answer the question about my kids, they are 9 (girl) and 7(boy) years old and it would more so be my daughter who is 9 that would help care for the dog, she is very responsable for her age and she would love to help care for the new family member in any way I see fit.
I agree about the terriers, I dont think they would suit my household. As for barking i realise any dog can become a barker if the right amount of interaction and attention is not given, I would prefer a breed that is known when cared for correctly is not a yapper! as for grooming I think I would like to keep my dog in a puppy cut for eaiser grooming, and daily brushing is not a problem! :D
I have had more of a look at different breeds and i think i have a short list of breeds that i would consider, I would love any more advice on these breeds:

I have put them in order of preferance that i like them in!

1,Bichon frise (not sure i want a completely white dog, and worried about tear staining :? )
2,Havenese (having trouble finding breeders in my area :( )
3,Toy/Miniature Poodle (any difference apart from size??)
4,Maltese (not sure i want a completely white dog :? )
5,Shih tzu (not sure i like the face on these little guys :? )

Thanks again :lol:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I think you should consider dogs that are a little larger.

What is not so easy to tell from photographs is that height does not equal 'large' - an example here is, my Deerhound is 31 inches tall - big dog right? Yet, she takes up LESS room, far FAR less room, than my friends Labrador who is 22" tall.

Why? Because my deerhounds height is all legs, her body is pretty slim, and behaviourally, shes a calmer dog who is quite neat and doesn't get in the way. In comparison, my friends Labrador is a bulky hefty dog, shes giddy and shes clumsy and bless her, she is always in the way!

So on paper a dog might look to be too big, but meet them in person and you might well find they are much more suitable than you thought.

In your shoes, I would be looking at the Lhasa Apso, the Whippet, or even, if being a quiet dog is a REALLY high priority for you, look at retired Greyhounds. They ARE larger than you wanted, but not as large as you may think (and some ex racers particularly bitches can be VERY dainty indeed), the grooming required is minimal (pimply rubber glove and a stiff brush) though they will lose hair in your house, if you brush regularly outside its not particularly bad. They are REALLY not noisy and they would be ok with a daily walk as long as you can get them out for a longer walk and some off lead running a couple of times a week.

Whatever breeds you decide you like the look of t hough, you MUST go and see them in person and you must realise this will not happen over night or even next week. Rush now, spend a LONG time repenting for your mistake!

Since you have some very strict requirements in some areas you need to be willing to compromise in others, so take on board that the dog that may suit you best, may not be the dog you like teh LOOK of best, and you might need to compromise in some areas to get the things you really need in others (for example, compromising size over quietness).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Poodles are generally highly intelligent and quite high energy dogs. They look like little foo foo lap dogs but they're not. A highly intelligent dog may sound wonderful but the more intelligent the dog the harder the work I've found. Mostly because while they're quick to pick up what you want from them they're also very quick to pick up what you don't want. And they tend to create their own entertainment, usually entertainment that us humans don't like.

How much physical exercise are you prepared to give each day? How much mental exercise? How much time spent on grooming? Are you absolutely set on a toy breed or would you consider a larger dog if it fit your requirements? Are you absolutely dead set on a puppy or would you consider an older rescue dog?

Papillons and cockers I would think would have higher energy requirements than you want, so would the terriers. I imagine poodles do too to be honest, I know many seem to get away with rarely walking them or doing anything with them but they also tend to have out of control, snappy ones :wink: The Pomeranians I know are huge barkers and will happily bark 8 hours a day almost non stop.

Have you considered Cavalier King Charles Spaniels? You would need to look very carefully for a breeder due to health conditions but they seem a breed which would fit most of your requirements. They're not non shedding but they're nowhere near on the scale of a Labrador for it.