Chihuahua's "always" mean & barky?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Little Lola

Chihuahua's "always" mean & barky?

Post by Little Lola »

My Chihuahua, Lola, is 6 years old, we got her (third owners!) when she was 5 years old. She has been a challenge to say the least, a SUPER barker and pretty darn aggressive to our 8 year old so and his friends, in fact goes crazy at everyone who drops over. We've never had a little dog before and so far people's response is that we should have known a Chihuahua would be like that b/c that's pretty much what they're always like. I was certainly misled by her previous owner. But I also believed that really, even within breeds there would be variations of character traits. Any thoughts out there on Chihuahua's?
ClareMarsh

Re: Chihuahua's "always" mean & barky?

Post by ClareMarsh »

I have a 6 month old long haired chi, Ted. We got him at 8 weeks. He barks only when super excited when playing, he walks on a loose lead, enjoys learning new tricks, loves everyone (people, kids, any size dog, in fact he'd meet EVERYONE given half a chance) and is generally well behaved at home and outside.

So it makes me annoyed that people generalise that Chis are as your friends describe, lots of people are surprised by Ted when they meet him as he's so confident and calm.

I put all this down to good breeding, diet (he's fed raw), two walks a day, puppy classes, training every day and generally being treated as I would a large dog (no jumping up etc).

I think Chis have a bad name because people get them as accessories and don't treat them as dogs and then, of course, there are problems (not saying that this is what you have done but it seems to happen way too often).

So your pooch does not have to be that way, although it may take some work as you are making up for the years she wasn't with you.

I suggest you create a post in the dog training section and explain the problems you are having in more detail and Lola's typical day, what she eats, exercise training etc etc. Then people will be able to help you :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
kathyb2007

Post by kathyb2007 »

Hi there I have a chi that was handed to me as he was deemed nasty bless him.
He had issues with people too coming to the house and was very protective over his garden and home. The previous owners were not comfortable with him and said they couldnt work with him so handed him up.
I took him in.
When people came I had treats on offer as he is very food driven. I would tell them to completey pretend he was not there sounds mean but for him that was all he wanted, he did not like the pressure of people expectations who he did not know. so I taught him to go to is place with a toy to lick food out of and it kept him busy. once they sat down, he would come over and sniff their feet ect to check them out and then he would go back to his place again. People never touched him. If they got up to move i would send him to his place and reward. so they could move around safly.Now people can move around with out the worry of ankles being on the menu. Of course i never put him or them in that position, upon giving him a good diet and basic training he now will bark when the door goes only once and i say thanks thats enough and he then goes and settles down when they come in, he comes and sniffs then goes and does his own thing. He has now come to learn they are always bringing good things for him and not going to grab him ect. He will sometimes sit for a fuss from them these days and its getting better everyday, i must admit its an ongiong process for him. hope that helps you.
Dawnflight1984

Post by Dawnflight1984 »

I know this isn't a really new thread, but to speak up for the chh's, I hope it's ok! I know of 3 little chh boys and girls among Oreo's agility training group. They are way quieter than the shelties and border collies in the same class and are well mannered, focused and good runners.
Better yet, among Oreo's canine "colleagues" are 2 chh therapy dogs who go to old folks home and are real favorites of the old ladies because they are so small and gentle!

I think it boils down to training, socialization and expectations? Although I think genes do play a part and I can imagine that the world can be scary and all when one is so tiny.