Toilet Training a Lhasa Apso

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Maz72

Toilet Training a Lhasa Apso

Post by Maz72 »

Hi

Can anyone offer an advice on Lhaso Apsos please? I have had a male LA since he was a pup, bought from the breeder, he is now 4 and never been fully house trained but since we had the kitchen re-fitted he's become a nightmare! He will soil the floor and his bedding and I have tried deterent sprays but they do not work. I admit to becoming lazy with his exercise, he seemed happy enough having a run around the garden, I have now started to take him for a good walk each evening, he will do his business several times (1s and 2s) and come home and wee on his bed! He was castrated at 6 months for medical problems and whilst he will try it on the the boys (11 and 9) he's good with me and my husband most of the time, will do as he's told. He sleeps in the utility/kitchen, this is also where he stays when we are out. We both work full time, my husband on shifts. I do know that when he stayed with the neighbour when we were on holiday he didn't have a single mistake so can't help thinking it's something we are doing wrong.

Really at my wits end with him and welcome any advice, thanks
Butter

Re: Toilet Training a Lhasa Apso

Post by Butter »

Well, if he hasn't been properly housebroken from day one, then that's your problem. You're going to have to re-potty train him as if he were still a puppy, starting at this very moment.

How often do you take him for a walk? Do you allow him out long enough until he has an empty bladder? I currently walk my boys 4 times/day and provide them with a doggy-door which they use an additional 2-3 times/day. A total of 6-7 pee breaks/day.

Submissive peeing, marking or medical problem could also be the case.
Sincerely,

Butter & The Positive Gang; Bandi, Noni and Un-decided

"Consistency, in positive reinforcement training, is the key to success." ~ Butter