Guess the mix!

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wes

Guess the mix!

Post by Wes »

Hey folks. A coworker of mine is looking to adopt this lovely year and a half old Doberman (I think) female. She had seven puppies about two months ago, and it's still a little obvious. She called me today to look at the dog and see if there was any chance she could get her by her landlord. The dog is about 50-55 pounds, very short, about the size of a very small lab or perhaps a border collie/pit bull. Her coat is a bit longer than Sampson's, more lab-like and her tail is a bit fuller than I usually see in Dobe tails. Any guesses?

Unfortunately, those are the only photos I found of her.
Last edited by Wes on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JudyN

Re: Guess the mix!

Post by JudyN »

I don't know if it's just me (playing round with Linux this evening :shock: ) but I can't see the photos.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Wes

Post by Wes »

Thanks, Judy, I'll try and host them on my photobucket.

Edit: Fixed them, hope they work now!
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

JudyN wrote:playing round with Linux this evening :shock: ).
Does Jasper know you've got another dog Judy :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can see them fine Wes, but am useless at guess the breed, she's gorgeous though :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Mmmm.... I could just be biased toward bird dogs in general, but I see pointer.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Wes

Post by Wes »

She just ran the photos by her landlord and said "she's probably pointer, maybe lab, they really don't know." The shelter also called and said they only put Doberman because of her colouring and markings. The landlord is still iffy and said that SHE still saw Doberman and her rabies certificate says Doberman mix as well, but if she could get a vet to agree and say pointer/lab, then she'd be fine with it. Unfortunately now my coworker is plan B for this little lady, and she'll know on Saturday if she's still up for adoption. So now I'm hoping that she'll not only be able to get her, but also that her vet will see something other than Doberman and put that on her papers.
Jindo

Post by Jindo »

O: I also see a doberman, almost a lab-like face too.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I see Dobie for sure, but as to what the "other" is? My guess is maybe some lab in there as well. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh yes, doberman most certainly, but I only meant pointer as the other part. Now, if you could get "Pointer Mix" put on the papers, then it would not necessarily be lying, and might get her by, whereas "Doberman Mix" is also true, but would exclude her from many good homes.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Are dobermans considered a dangerous breed in the States, then? Because given that all dogs are related, even a Westie would share some genes with a doberman. A full sibling of this dog could look much more lab- or pointer-like but technically be the same mix. So whether labelled doberman x or pointer x is purely a technicality.

Given that it could go either way, why can't the landlord just meet the dog, see if her temperament is OK, and decide accordingly? Surely that's more important than the breed? Or are there insurance implications?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

The last bit is exactly it, Judy. A lot of it depends upon the state, county, and even city where one lives, but the other part is all about insurance: many homeowners insurance carriers (and rental insurers) will not cover certain breeds of dogs, or dogs over a certain weight, etc. The list varies according to insurance company, and policy to policy.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ah, thanks, Fundog :D
Wes

Post by Wes »

It's the insurance company. Mine allows any breed, and goes on a case by case basis - hers has a list of specific breeds that are not allowed.
Galadrielle

Post by Galadrielle »

What happened with this little lady in the end?
I thought perhaps Vizsla/Lab rather than Dobermann as the colouring is more cocoa than black....?
Only just saw the post.
Hugs
Ei
x