collies

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

fosterdogs

collies

Post by fosterdogs »

how are collies as pets?
Fundog

Re: collies

Post by Fundog »

EXHAUSTING! :lol: :lol: :lol: Collies are a high energy breed, and very intelligent to boot. That means they need to be kept busy, because they tend to become bored easily. And a bored dog is a destructive, mischievous, overwhelmingly, exasperating dog! :lol: :lol: :lol: So basically, if you intend to have a collie as a pet, you must: 1) have enough energy to enjoy the outdoors, hiking, going for walks, playing running-fetching games, etc. 2) Have a fantastic imagination and creativity for creating enrichment puzzles, toys, and fun games, and ideas for fun tricks to teach your collie to do. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I second every word of that. If you have eight hours a day to devote to your collie (not sleep hours, not TV, mealtime, chillin' out hours but active hours) that is just about enough. Any less and you will have a destructive hyperactive monster on your hands.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Yep. We had a collie while I was growing up and for two active kids (me and my brother) she was the perfect dog. She truly was the smartest dog I have ever had. She went everywhere with us all day long and never tired. Never! :lol: That was during the summer. When we would go back to school in the fall my mother would about lose her mind as Tammy turned to her for all that fun, activity and excitement.

I adore collies, but as an adult, would never personally have one of my own. We are simply not that active to keep up with one! :wink:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I heard a few days ago of an elderly woman planning to get a 10-week-old border collie pup. When it was suggested that this might be the wrong choice of dog, and that at the very least they would need to go to training classes, the woman said 'Oh no, I can't be bothered with training. That's why I'm getting a collie, because they're so clever already.' :shock:

Makes you wonder whether to laugh or cry....
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
fosterdogs

Post by fosterdogs »

not a border collie, a rought collie, are shelties less active? A breeder told me that collies are not that active
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

A "collie" is a collie, whatever way you want to want to breed it. It was born to work very hard, and use some its own God-given common sense and ability to reason. That's why the "Lassie" series was so popular-- because really, it wasn't so far-fetched from reality as to be utterly stupid. I suspect the breeder you spoke with is just a bit too eager to sell some puppies. :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

In my previous post, I also was speaking of a rough collie, not a border collie.

I've had two shelties and they are much less active and high need than a collie. Still intelligent and active, they are far more "reasonable" in their needs and desires. :D

And for those of you with collies or collie crosses, I am not maligning this lovely breed. I truly do love them - from afar! :D :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

fosterdogs wrote:not a border collie, a rought collie, are shelties less active? A breeder told me that collies are not that active

RUN AWAY from that breeder!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
bendog

Post by bendog »

Collies are HARD WORK!
My cousin has 2 collie cross puppies, and whilst they are gorgeous and intelligent, my goodness is it hard to keep them entertained.

Like Nettle said, unless you have all day every day to devote to your collie, don't bother.

Beautiful dogs, but boy are you in trouble if they get bored...and they get bored easily!
Secret Someone

Post by Secret Someone »

My partner and I have a 2 1/2 year old border collie. We've had him since July. For a collie, I think he is probably quite relaxed, however... He is my life! I spend most of my awake hours doing things with him. If I don't he gets stressed and has a bunch of slightly undesirable behaviours he will turn to for entertainment.

One thing worth considering with particularly intelligent dogs... It doesn't mean they are easy to train. It means they pick stuff up, and mine is very good at copying, but that isn't the same as them being easy to train. Mine has managed to learn how to open the fridge, carry a butter dish, open doors, get into child-proof boxes, take my glasses off my face and shut my laptop. So looking after him includes giving him enough mental and physical exercise so that he doesn't do all of these things. He gets several hours of physical exercise and probably even more mental exercise during the day.

He is utterly beautiful and gives the best cuddles, but he is bl**dy hard work! Like I said... my collie is basically my life. :P
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

fosterdogs wrote:not a border collie, a rought collie, are shelties less active? A breeder told me that collies are not that active
I am a bit concerned that person is breeding to be honest!

No shelties are active, collies are active....all need a lot of mental and physicalexercise. A lady at my agility class has a sheltie....even when she has had long walks, and already done an hour and a half of agility in the day, she is like a ball of fire!! I have never seen a dog move that fast and have that nuch energy....and the class is from 8pm to 9pm so by the end Dylan is well and truly ready for sleepy time! But this sheltie rarely gets tired apparantly!