small dog breeds

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

newjerseylab

small dog breeds

Post by newjerseylab »

anyone know a havanese or papillion? How friendly are they as a breed?
emmabeth

Re: small dog breeds

Post by emmabeth »

Never met a Havanese, but I have met Papillons and they are sparky, energetic little dudes - sharp fast learners that want a lot of work (imagine a mini collie!). I think the Havanese are a little easier going.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Suzette

Re: small dog breeds

Post by Suzette »

My neighbor in my old neighborhood had a Havanese and she was the sweetest thing ever! Very friendly to everything that crossed her path, animals and people alike. I understand that's pretty typical of the breed, but my neighbor was also excellent about socializing her as a puppy and getting her out into the world. She wasn't barky or high strung at all, but I don't really know if that's typical of this breed or not. I just know she was a real sweetie!
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
ABsMomma

Re: small dog breeds, Papillions

Post by ABsMomma »

I'm posting this reply here though it's been several years since the question about Papillions. First of all, my Papillion ( Anabelle ) was not my first dog, but my sixth. I have had experience with other Papillions, also, at dog shows. I chose Papillions for a number of reasons, one of which is their generally excellent temperament.
I got Anabelle as an adolescent ( 10 months. ). Her disposition was as follows: sweet; friendly; lively ; and curious. Overall this is an intelligent breed, and she was no exception. I taught her to potty on command ( if she had to go, ) easily. She was eager to learn; eager to please; and really a wonderful companion. She was NOT nippy, and neither were the many other Papillions I had met and petted at shows. It is thus NOT a characteristic of this breed that they nip. Quite the opposite.
They do have a bit of extra energy when puppies, which can typically be handled by throwing a ball, and a short walk or two. Their coats are described as " hair, " not fur for a reason. The hair is silky and only requires a gentle, short brushing a couple times a week. The small section behind their ears can tangle a little, so brushing that part is important. Also, shedding is minimal.
If they are correctly socialized, barking should not be a problem. Mine seemed to inherit the trait of wanting to track and chase chipmunks, and squirrels. So, we always walked on a leash, which seemed fine with her. Also, since Papillions are tiny, walking on a leash is the best idea. Then, if a larger dog comes up, one can pick the Papillion up.
Since she was so intelligent, she easily learned a number of games, and tricks. She was crate trained, and I had no problems with her being obedient on being house broken.
I would recommend that a Papillion is not always the best choice for a first time owner. Some of them can be a little pushy; mine was like that. Also, they are so intelligent that they size you up pretty fast. I used positive training methods successfully.
In this paragraph, I said " was " about my little sweet dog. She got Lymphoma ( blood cancer, ) and I had to have her put to sleep. I miss her a lot. She was always with me.
Another plus of this breed is, in general, they do not have much in the way of genetic problems. Mine developed Osteo Arthritis when she was old, which my vet treated successfully. As the Arthritis was developing, she was intelligent about it. She actually let me know she had discomfort. So, we treated that, and still took our walks without her hurting.
Overall, if a one has some experience with dogs, and a Papillion is a good fit, I recommend them, highly. They are playful, friendly, and intelligent. Their tiny size ( mine was about 5.5 lbs. when grown, ) makes it essential that one must protect them.