What kind of mutt is he?

Breed specific discussion of your favorite breed.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

What kind of mutt is he?

Post by Erica »

Onyx is our 12 year old mutt. We got him in a happy sort of accident...our cousins were looking for a dog, and right before Thanksgiving, someone dumped a litter of mutts in our neighbor's yard. We grabbed one for our cousins, and were planning on having to keep him and our old German Shepherd, Mica, separate, since Mica didn't like other dogs. However, they got along really well...strike one!

Onyx had exactly one accident in the house. He house-trained in less than 12 hours...strike two!

By the time the week between our bringing him home and our cousins coming over was up, he was sitting, shaking, laying down, and barking for treats, all from copying Mica. Strike three, you're ours! It's too bad he wasn't too motivated by much...he's really intelligent.

Anyways, pictures. I have very little idea about what he is. Lab, maaaayyybeeee GSD, but I doubt it...nothing in him says "German Shepherd" to me. Vets have him down as a lab x shepherd, but what do they know? Answer, very little...we brought him in to have his nails clipped and they forgot to do his hind feet. :roll: His fur is water resistant, and his paws are slightly webbed. He has very little energy...just a chill, go-with-the-flow dog.

Also, as he gets older, his ears are starting to stand up...it's bizarre, having him 12 years with floppy ears and now they can't decide whether to perk up or flop down!

Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
nightsrainfall

Re: What kind of mutt is he?

Post by nightsrainfall »

His coloring kind of remind me of a Bernese Mountain Dog, especially with the 'fluffy' looking coat, or another 'Mountain Dog' breed like - the Greater Mountain Swiss Dog, but these breeds aren't exactly everywhere (nor popular) so it reduces the chances of them having mixes out there... Although, I should say, I have seen them both out in Iowa and in Maryland. I don't know about your own area. He seems a bit shorter and actually he doesn't seem like a lab cross or a german shepard cross... though I can see maybe a shepard line in him. Maybe australian shepard, or smooth or rough collie with something?

Sorry I don't have good guesses.

How old is he?
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
Soapy

Post by Soapy »

If i saw that dog in the park I would think he was a collie cross. Possibly with a lab.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

What a lovely dog! In the third picture from the bottom, he really has a 'lab' look to him. In some pictures, I think I see a bit of Huskey, but those short legs and tail are puzzling. He might be what we used to call a Heinz 57 (it's a regional thing! :D )-- that just means a mix of many breeds all rolled together to make one great dog!

Whatever he is, he sure looks sweet and happy! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Secret Someone

Post by Secret Someone »

Aww. What a gorgeous dog. I would say that it looks like he has some collie in him. I've seen a couple of collie crosses who look very similar. Other than that, all I can tell is that he's gorgeous! A beautiful mix of mutts. :D
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Alaskan German Shepherd Malamute, definitely. :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Erica

Post by Erica »

It's funny - all the breeds we've ever guessed, and all the ones here, are typically high-energy and/or high drive...but he's lazier than a mastiff! :) He is a sweety...and looking at pictures of border collie crosses, some look a lot like him (and some look not at all like him...haha).

Let's see - in those pictures, he's probably 8-9, but now he's 12...about 50 pounds. Plush coat (also known as a double coat, I think), but not particularly long...
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Id go with collie/shepherd/lab mix, I think you wouldn't be far wrong with that. He looks like a nice old dude!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Vicky+Oakley

Post by Vicky+Oakley »

i came to a conclusion of GSDx collie...with maybe a lab or any combo lol as the gsd and collie fur would be the right combo and chilled outness of the lab :) such a sweetie...the body and shorter legs of the lab and collie as the tummy and the markings are very collie/gsd like.....
my oppinion anyway he seems like a fabb dog tho good luck for the future!! :D x