pom summer clip?

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

chay

pom summer clip?

Post by chay »

its summer here in australia and i was thinking of getting gypsy in for a summer clip (3 yr old pom/chi - heavy on the pom).

she's devastatingly pretty, so i wasn't thinking of shaving her off completely, more a shortening of the tummy/body fur. i've since read that any cutting of a poms hair (besides just trimming for neatness / shape) is actually really detrimental.

can anyone shed any more educated light on this for me (other than the conflicting information i've found on yahoo answers, for example? lol)

thanks!

*edit: wasn't sure whether to put this in grooming or breed questions - mods feel free to move!
Desiree

Re: pom summer clip?

Post by Desiree »

I know its been awhile since you posted this but thought I'd respond in case you were still looking for answers. I have a pom that I rescued a few months ago. When I got him he has several matts and was pretty tangled up. I ended up having to use my clippers and just use them. I didn't shave him down all the way but I did shorten it to about an inch and a half long so I could get all the matts out. It took a month or so but his fur all grew out beautifully, and is now soft and fluffy and about 5 inches long. I worried that I might have messed it up forever after reading some of the articles you find online, but he turned out ok. Now I just trim around his behind pretty close to keep it from getting nasty and brush him every couple days and he stays pretty clean and tangle free. I haven't had to go thru a hot summer with him yet tho. He won't be outside much tho, just potty breaks when its hot so Im not too worried. I have a 2 story house so the dogs get lots of exercise running up and down the steps and honestly it doesn't take much for a 6 lb dog exercise wise :D Thats why I love the little guys :lol: Hope this helped
chay

Re: pom summer clip?

Post by chay »

hi desiree, thanks for the response and sorry for the late reply from myself, too! :lol:

that is good to know, i decided against clipping gypsy and instead now just do what you do and do a bit of a bum-trim and leave the rest of her long and looking pretty <3 i walk her early in the morning and after sunset in evening so she doesn't get too hot and it hasn't been a problem at all.

funnily enough i've actually had the OPPOSITE problem this week - we have had torrential rain and summer storms, so instead of her getting too warm she just gets soaked through her lovely long fur! i thought she might be a bit precious about getting wet, but she doesn't seemed phased at all - if anything it's the opposite, and i swear she actually makes a point of splashing in the puddles!

good to hear your experience though, and glad to hear your bub is now looking gorgeous too :D