Afraid of dryer

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

atagalong

Afraid of dryer

Post by atagalong »

I have a 17 month old Bichon who has been groomed since he was about 3 months old. He was not cut in the typical cut until he was about 5 months old, but he was trimmed and washed and dried since he was 3 months. He has become a terror now with the washing and drying. He has scratched the groomers arms and is constantly moving around when she tries to dry him. He does however sit still to be trimmed. He started this about 4-5 months ago. I am afraid that she will not continue to groom him and as she is afraid that he will hurt himself. I have a force air dryer at home wash and dry him between groomings. He is the same here with the force air dryer, but does not mnd a regular hair dryer. I really did not want to start home grooming, but may have to if his groomer refuses to do him again. I have been trying to desensitize him to the force air dryer by blowing it on him and treating him. I am trying to add a little time each day. If he starts getting squirmy, I try to get him to calm down and treat him and then turn the dryer off so we end on a calm note. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is a breed that has to be groomed every 4-5 weeks.
***Melissa***

Re: Afraid of dryer

Post by ***Melissa*** »

The only think I can think of is to try to desensitize him.

Maybe the force air dryers noice is too loud that it hurst is ears or something? Can't the groomer use a regular hair dryer?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Force air dryers have a higher velocity which makes the fluffing (straightening of the hair) for Bichon's hair go faster. Using lots of conditioner and combing, I've sorta fluffed my Poodle's hair with a regular blow dryer, but having worked as a bather, I know the force air dryer works faster...and most dogs don't like it.

Do you what has caused the change in your Bichon? Has he had a bad experience at the groomers?
atagalong

Post by atagalong »

He has been gong to the same groomer for about 14 months and I am not aware of any bad experiences. He does not like a bath or the dryer. He seems to be getting worse with each grooming. I have a snuggy thing for his head which covers his ears and hold them close to his head. Helps for his body, then has to be removed for his head. I use a forced air dryer on him at home for his body and then a hand held regular hair dryer for his head. He does not seem to mind that. I don't think that the groomer will use a regular hair dryer as it would take too long and it would not fluff his hair as well. I bought him some Composure chew tabs and will try them at home to see if they help. Got them from the vet - not really thinking that they will help, but anything is worth a try.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Maybe you could try turning on your force air dryer in another room & treating, and slowly moving him closer treating with high value treats & working at it in 2/3 mts sessions a few times a day. You are already on the right track by ending on a positive note but pay very close attention & try to end before he starts to get upset. In the meantime would you consider keeping him in a puppy cut while he gets desensitized?
atagalong

Post by atagalong »

I may have to keep him cut shorter. I really like him with the longer cut, but it is all about him right now. I am still thinking about trying to home groom until he is so messed up that I have to take him to the groomer- he may be more appreciative of someone who knows what they are doing. :lol:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

His behaviour suggests that whatever the groomer is doing to uspet him, they are still doing it andare not listening to him.

I would practice at home as you are doing but aim to stop BEFORE he gets wriggly and restless or annoyed with it, rather than carrying on beyond that point then calming him down and starting again before quitting. Try to make it so short and so so good that you stop before he wants you to, which over time can lead to him wanting MORE.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
poodlesarelove

Post by poodlesarelove »

You didn't mention if you take him to a shop. If so, you may want to try a mobile groomer or even take him to a shop on a slow day. Some of these shops get very busy. Groomers are paid a portion of what they charge so they need to do a lot of dogs in order to make a living wage. This results in a stressful environment for the dogs in a shop. There are so many dogs, many are stressed to be there. The noise level is high with the high velocity (force) dryers, yipping dogs, etc. Some groomers use these force dryers on their highest setting and do not modify the nozzel for a small dog. I would suggest they not use the HV (high velocity) dryer beyond the shoulders. Some dogs are more tolerant than others of this environment. Mobile groomers may charge more than a shop but the difference will be nominal if your dog is happy. The additional charge is for the convenience of coming to your home. A Bichon groom may take 1 to 1 1/2 hours start to finish.