basset hound grooming

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

thines900

basset hound grooming

Post by thines900 »

should i cut my dogs hair they are both one yearold bassets. some websites say not to trim a bassests hair other say to which is it.
DogzRule1996

Re: basset hound grooming

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Don't bassets have short fur? Maybe some with medium but most have short. I don't think you should cut a basset's fur. If it's short and not meant for cutting then you shouldn't cut it or else it might not grow back or it'll grow back weirdly :?
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

I guess, my question is why do you think you might need to? Basset hounds don't really have much to cut anyway. A brushing every once in a while should be all they need.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I'm going a different way on this subject. If your basset has medium-length fur, you can have it trimmed for the summer or when it is warm out. The fur will grow back. Brushing should do the trick, though, but if you need to bath your basset, you can take a warm, wet, soapy towel and wipe your dog with it!

I had a Basset Griffon Verdeen and I can tell you that sometimes their fur can get a lot of stuff in it and it can mat easily. You shouldn't have that much problems with your basset's fur. Should it become matted or get debris that won't come out by brushing, then trim it. It won't even hurt it.
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown