Bathing a 90 Lb dog who hates water

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

FlightHound

Re: Bathing a 90 Lb dog who hates water

Post by FlightHound »

Sounds like you have fun on bath-day!
Every tried taking him to a dog-washers? Hydrobaths are very good for stopping escaping dogs.
Otherwise, I would have to agree with the other members about not bathing him as often unless there's really a need for it. One of my friends owns 2 Ridgebacks and rarely baths them because they either molt excessively or begin to smell. These dogs do get washed, but not often at all. I, in fact do not wash my dogs monthly or even every two months, depending on their skin condition. If there is no need for him to be bathed, then I wouldn't worry about it.
As for bathing techniques, I might skip the bath altogether.
Take him outside (with some helpers), having all your gear ready beforehand and bathe him on the grass. Don't try to force him into water as this may stress him more. Basically, either while someone is holding onto him or you are sitting on him, slowly wet his skin. Do this without making it too much of a fuss and all the while repeatedly talking to him.
Warm water is a lot less stressful and a hose may or may not be. I use a 20ltr container filled with water which I then slowly pour over the dog using a scoop or margarine container.
The best place to begin wetting any dog is on the rump and tail, leving the face and nose till last and only dousing once, if possible.
Then, of course, have a big towel down making sure it's the most exciting part.
I always let mine dry in the sun and reward with a bone or Schmackos.
Helpful? If not, I would seriously suggest the use of a hydrobath - but dogs do jump out of these too.
NewMilfordian

Post by NewMilfordian »

Have you tried peanut butter? If you smear a bit on the side of the tub/wall and let him lick it while you bathe him, it might help.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I also dont bathe my dog! I bathed him once a month or so after I got him because his coat was awful from being a stray so long and being at the rescue centre etc. He had matts all over him, massive ones behind his ears. But that was over a year ago and I dont intend to bath him now unless he dunked himself in a load of cow dung for example! I brush him regularly, once or twice a week. He has very soft fur and is like a golden retriever with longish fur. But bathing, as has been said, removes essential oils from their coats...and once a month I would say is too often...especially if he hates it!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I used to be an ITEC Aromatherapist (and used to teach Aromatherapy at physio school) and I also have completed a study course specific to the use of Aromatherapy oils with animals. Which is why I say most sincerely: please don't use Aromatherapy oils directly on dogs. The oils are far too strong, and a dog's sense of smell is far too good. The oils smell great to us but distress our dogs.

Aromatherapy oils can be used in the dog's environment eg in a diffuser, or a few drops in a dish of water high up where the dog can't get to it, allowing the scents to perfuse the room BUT if you do this, the dog must be able to get away from the oils if it wants to. Oils on the coat or on "clothing" on the dog are not kind.

I do treat some injuries with aromatic oils, but then I know what I am doing. Seriously, you can do a lot of harm with them, and it is irresponsible of traders to sell aromatic oils for use on animals when they have no training and give no advice.

As for bathing - my dogs are never bathed in all their lives. They have clean coats and bright skins and do not smell "doggy" not even the very old one. It's all about proper feeding, exercise and brushing. Some dogs may need occasional bathing, eg Horace's Mum's dog, or dogs bred with artificially heavy coats, but the majority of dogs never need bathing at all. If they roll in something yukky, spot-washing is the way to go :lol: It's a mistake to treat an animal as if it was part of the furnishings, and it does them no good at all.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS