Hound Problems!1

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ChubbyPuppy74

Hound Problems!1

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

My 3 year old bloodhound mia hates i mean hates getting bathed. Ouce i bathe her she smells good for about an 1hour after she is dryed off. Also i have trouble cleaning her ears, she hates the smell of the wipes she bites my hands and runs away. She has never done this before. She has tons of yeast infections also, around 4-6 times a year, Costing $100 each time. Does anyone know of a good shampoo for hounds just like mia? And any good not smelling ear cleaner?
Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

josie1918

Re: Hound Problems!1

Post by josie1918 »

The reason she may hate having her ears cleaned might be that the ear cleaner you are using might sting her ears. I have hounds as well and have one with shameful ears :D I use derma pet ear cleaner because it is so much gentler than the others on the market, we also use it at the vet clinic where I work. Now, please remember DO NOT USE q-tips, put the cleaner on a cotton ball, or 4x4 gauze and wipe her ears, ALWAYS have a favorite treat around and treat her frequently for allowing you to clean her ears. :lol:
Bathing, I use the derma pet shampoo because it is made with boric acid, (keeps the ph more acidic for less irritation and drying of skin) start calmly with the warm water, massage her, treat her frequently.
In other words, try to turn the bath time positive. Never spray the face always use a wash cloth there.
ALSO with hounds BE SURE to place dry cotton balls in their ears before bathing, as ANY moisture that gets in or near her ears can be the cause of her yeast infections. (most yeasts are a ph imbalance coaxed on by moisture)
I am guessing the reason for your dogs odor could be either the ears, or bloodhound drool. Try wiping around her mouth and chest once a day with a moist wash cloth and see if this helps.
For the ears, try to pile them on her head for 15 mins twice a day (maybe when she sits next to you on the couch?) Let some air get to the ear canal to fend off infections.
This is what I do with my 4, works for them. :D Oh and you should be able to get derma pet online, or from pet stores, it is not hideously priced.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I don't bath my dogs, they don't need it if you brush them regularly, it can be daily for long coated dogs and weekly for Greyhounds, most dogs are in between. After I brush them I use a baby wipe on their coats.

Thornit powder is very good for dog's ears, it will clear them up as well as be used as a preventative.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Mattie wrote:After I brush them I use a baby wipe on their coats.

Baby wipes can be used on a dog? Even in spots that they can lick?