Annie actually Volunteered for ear cleaning!!

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Annie actually Volunteered for ear cleaning!!

Post by Fundog »

First of all, some background: Annie absolutely HATES having her ears cleaned, just HATES it. But I have, over the years, been developing a very strong relationship with her, in which she has learned to trust me implicitly. And I've been sweetening the ordeal by giving her a cookie after the cleaning. :wink: Annie is called "Schweinhund" (German for "Pig-Dog") for a reason, lol!

This evening I got a PM from someone asking for the name of the ear cleaning solution I got from our vet. Annie saw me go get the bottle off the shelf so I could read the label, and she started looking at me in much the same way she does when I say "cookie" or "walk." And she just kept looking at me, even though I never made any other move to clean her ears. So then I asked her, "Do you want to come over and have your ears cleaned?" And she got right up, and was sitting in front of me, at full attention, in the blink of an eye! :shock: So I cleaned her ears, and yeah, she got a cookie, for sure! :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Re: Annie actually Volunteered for ear cleaning!!

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Smart dog! :lol: I'll have to ask for something next time that would illicit an action from Annie! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Awesome!! I am very jealous of you&Annie! Cadence ran from me today when I reached for the bottle :oops:
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Forkin14 wrote:
I am very jealous of you&Annie! Cadence ran from me today when I reached for the bottle
I'm jealous of you both! Karma didn't just run off, she nipped me! OUCH!!! :oops: :twisted:
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Well done! :D

I have been cleaning Murphy's ears for nearly a year now. He still gets a cookie at the end, no matter how accepting he is of it. So now when he sees me with the bottle he goes to his spot on the couch and sits there waiting for me, even if I don't have the cookie bowl out! He knows that after we're done I'll go to the cookie bowl and grab one. :D
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Right on, Noobs! Great minds think alike, huh? :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hey I've finally got Karma's ears cleaned and without being nipped! :D It took a while, but when she realized that she gets her favorite treats and stays calm when she sees the bottle, she sits still and wags her tail! :D Way to go, Karma! :D :lol:
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Wahooooo Karma!!!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

All right! Good job-- it only gets easier now that she's had a "taste" of success! :D
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Fundog wrote: All right! Good job-- it only gets easier now that she's had a "taste" of success!
It sure does! :D