Grooming for Bichons

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

gracesong

Grooming for Bichons

Post by gracesong »

As of this past Friday, Daisy just turned one. Consequently, her coat's becoming much, much more curly and more time-consuming to brush.
During our daily morning brushing sessions, I keep her attention occupied by feeding her her daily portion of apple cubes. This seems to help with the unpleasantness of the grooming session for both of us. However, I'm noticing she seems to prefer one brush over the other.
We've got a steel, broad-toothed comb we use for the fur on her face, but we've also got a brush we use for her body. I don't know what the technical name of the brush is, but it's got wire-looking bristles, which curve in slightly, that help to de-tangle her fur when it gets matted or tangled.
However, we've been instructed to brush her fur against the lay in order to fluff it up as per her breed.
I'm afraid this second brush we're using and the method we're using for brushing is causing her unnecessary discomfort.
for those of you who have Bichons or who have worked with them, what do you find to be the most pleasant and effective for them? Should we brush against the lay of the fur, and should I use the second brush I described?
Thanks! :)
emmabeth

Re: Grooming for Bichons

Post by emmabeth »

Is the brush a slicker brush http://www.foryourllamas.com/images/bru ... er_red.jpg like that?

Im not keen on brushing fur against the direction of growth, i think at best it feels funny - however I do not own a Bichon... so.

Try it and see if she dislikes it, if she does, up the reward and only do it when you need to - it doesnt really matter in the grand scheme of things if she doesnt ALWAYS look like a picture perfect Bichon, even if you show her, she only needs to look like that in the ring and when you are checking her coat is as it should be.

Im not keen on slicker brushes when they are going to touch the dogs skin though, i have yet to come across one that ISNT quite uncomfortably scratchy and my dogs reactions to them (even those that normally love being brushed) seem to agree!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

I own a Poodle. As a bather, I bathed and fluffed Bichons and Poodles, along with other curry coated breeds. :) Poodles and Bichons have similar coats, so my advice is based on what I know about Poodle fur...

First off, I'd recommend using a leave in conditioner or a little of creme rinse mixed with water in a spray bottle. Spray a little bit on your hands and put on the section of coat but don't saturate, just where to it's slightly damp. Since the fur is conditioned and has more slip, it shouldn't feel as bad to your dog when you are brushing. You are make the brushing easier by using creme rinse or a conditioning shampoo when you bathe and brushing the dog before you put him/her in too cuts down on drying time! :)

It does like you are using a slicker brush. If you are worried about hurting the dog use a pin brush or soft slicker brush that has pins on it. Actually brushing the fur in two different ways (upwards and downwards), especially if the fur is super long, helps because it creates air flow. The top fur is pretty dense and sometimes the under hairs are missed which is why you section off the fur you are combing with a thumb/finger until you see the skin, keeping it separate from the uncombed hairs, and brush out those hairs, not the skin. You repeat it in the different direction and get it the under hairs there until the dog is fully combed. I recommend brushing 3 x a week normally and after a bath, or rain, since wetness can create mats. (Edit: Just read you brush her daily---that's great!)

Fluffing, on the other hand, is about lifting the fur with the brush while you use a blow dryer, kinda similar to straighten hair. If the coat is getting too much to handle, then I suggest going to a respectable groomer and getting the dog's hair clipped.

Gracesong, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
gracesong

Post by gracesong »

Wow, thanks for the tips and responses! :)
Yes, the brush I'm using would be a slicker brush, and I'll definitely try brushing both ways and sectioning off parts with my thumb. We used to just run the brush through her coat, much like how one would comb one's hair, but I think that's what's causing most of her irritation.
Do slicker brushes ever have the tendency to knick the skin or anything? I've accidentally scraped myself with the brush, and it hurt enough to the point where I could see how it would irritate sensitive skin.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

I can't remember where I read this but I heard that slicker brushes work better when slightly dull so there's no irritation, that you might need to rub in on the pavement or a hard surface until it dulls. But don't quote me on that...

The irritation might be caused by how you are holding the brush too. Here's how and how-to focusing more on arm movement to use a slicker brush correctly, especially if the bristles are angled.
gracesong

Post by gracesong »

Ok, cool. Thanks! I'll take a look at that and try it. :)
gracesong

Post by gracesong »

OK, if I don't have the conditioner, what can I use instead for the time being? Would something like Vaseline work?
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

No--Vaseline wouldn't work since that would stick to the hair and create an even worse mess. I use this concentrated leave in conditioner. Since it's concentrated, I use one squirt (using the ratio on the product) and fill the rest of the spray bottle (bought at walmart or cvs or wherever you find one) with water; it can also be used full strength during bathing.

I've seen Petco have Tropiclean Conditioning Shampoo; the small size is 20 oz, cost depends on your area. Most stores--even drug stores--have a pet section which has off brand dog conditioners/shampoo/conditioning shampoos if you cannot afford or need one quickly. I'd only use the conditioner/creme rinse (following the above) diluted in a spray bottle.

If it's impossible to get one now, be extra gentle and brush the hair in small sections, lifting the fur (with your hand) away from the body using what I've said above. It's okay if you don't brush her all at once, just stop when she's happy and end with a treat.