Nail Grinding Devices?

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

itsbeth

Nail Grinding Devices?

Post by itsbeth »

Do any of you use a nail grinder instead of clippers on your pups? I'm interested in getting one but want to make sure I get one that's well-made and effective. I'd love recommendations!

I know a lot of people like the Dremel brand because you can also use them for crafts and other sanding projects, but I'm not especially crafty, so I wouldn't get it just for that purpose. I like the idea of the nail guard on the Peticure (espeically since my dog has long hair that could get caught), but I'm skeptical of those 'as seen on TV' items. The Oster Gentle Paws has a plastic guard too, but I'm afraid a battery operated model won't be powerful enough for my medium sized dog's thick nails.
Fundog

Re: Nail Grinding Devices?

Post by Fundog »

I've found the best nail-grinding device on the market is pavement-- walking on it, that is-- and hiking in rocky, sandy terrain. Best of all, it's free. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
itsbeth

Post by itsbeth »

Ah. We don't have rocky terrain here in Florida, we have swamp. I'm not outdoorsy anyway so that's not going to happen, but thanks for the thought. :)
itsbeth

Post by itsbeth »

I was going to add, we do have pavement, but it's already reaching 90 degrees F here, so walking on it for any length of time would be painful for my pooch.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh, yes-- being in the desert as I am, I completely understand HOT (it reaches record highs of 118 F. here). I too have to look for other surface types to avoid scorched paws. Much luck to you this summer, both with keeping cool and with finding a nail grinder that suits you. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I use a regular old dremmel tool.
luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs »

I have posted 2 times and don't know why my reply isn't coming up. So if this is a repeat please ignore...But I have gone to a local hardware store and bought a dremmel..It works great..It really isn't hard to have them adjust to it..Turn it on and let them listen to the sound..Give treats..( you can have one too :D )...... ( Repeat and rinse) Without it on hold up against the paw no pressure...When your pup seems comfortable then turn it on and hold against a nail..Even if it is for a second and they don't seem uncomfortable turn off and give treats or kisses..It really isn't a big adjustment to get them use to this ..be patient..(trust me I don't have any and it's easy)..I find that grinding the nails last 10x longer than just cutting them..It is so worth the time..Just to let you know that fur can get stuck when it is turning so be careful...I haven't used the pet dremmel so I can't compare ...I know though that I think it might be hard to try to get the nail in that little hole of the pet dremmel..Good luck and wear thick gloves :lol:
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

It is also possible to dremel your hands and if you have long hair, put it up so the dremel won't catch it.
GllntKnight

Post by GllntKnight »

Dremel works for my dogs and the calluses on my feet and also my nails hands and feet.
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. ~Author Unknown

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner
PHOENIX

Post by PHOENIX »

I use a generic version of the Dremel (it's a Craftsman).

Lots of belly rubs and some treats and it makes the pedicure much easier.

Sometimes my dog will fuss. Most of the time he'll just lie on the bed and let me do his nails.

I am looking into getting the 3' extension with the tapered end to make things easier on my hands.

HTH
Christie

Post by Christie »

That is a big Issue I am having to work on training my basset to be use to the sound of that :D
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I successfully got Murphy to tolerate filing his nails with a regular nail file that I also use for my own nails - actually I used an emery board, not a nail file. (Cheese makes grooming tolerable!) He was actually handing me his paw so it looked like I was doing a manicure on a person. :lol:

He is terrified of the sound of the pedipaws thingy too, so if you have the patience and time, use a nail file. :D