Bathing and Frontline

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

forkin14

Re: Bathing and Frontline

Post by forkin14 »

I switched to K9 Advantix so it would actually REPEL ticks and fleas, not wait for the dogs to get bitten and let them get into my house.

But Frontline and Frontline Plus is used monthly not every three months..
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

No, for fleas it is 3 months, for fleas and ticks it is every month. This comes to me straight from the manufacturer. I swear :D
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

I think the confusion comes from the way the package is worded, it will say use once a month for fleas and ticks. Well yes, if you are after the ticks too you would need to, for JUST the fleas, frontline lasts 90 days.
nixe

Post by nixe »

I worked at a vet for 2 1/2 years, so here is what I have come to learn. Frontline in a house with a small flea issue can probably get away with only using it every three months. If you are treating a flea infestation you may need to use it every month. With advantage, frontline and k9 advantix it is safe to apply every two weeks...and no sooner. Advantage and K9 Advantix need to be applied monthly, also if your dog is extremely water active all three may need to be applied more often, but no sooner than every two weeks. Also all of those products do wash away every time you bathe your pet, unless you use a soap free pet shampoo which is the best way to make sure you are getting your moneys worth on the flea and tick products!
thepetmom

Post by thepetmom »

My friend uses Frontline and our vet has told her 3 days prior and 3 days after application. It seems to work well on a monthly basis for her dog against flees and ticks.

I only use flee and tick shampoos and it seems to work for my dog. However, I limit where dog goes on hikes, walks and runs. My dog is on a leash, hers his not. Mine is leashed due to her being 1/2 Greyhound.