beard stains

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

StaceyMG

beard stains

Post by StaceyMG »

Hi, I have a white dog and his rubber toy in combination with his saliva has stained parts of his beard. I tried shampooing it out but it didn't come out. :( Does anyone recommend any type of shampoo for this sort of problem? Should I try a whitening shampoo? Any tips or recommendations is much appreciated. Thanks!
emmabeth

Re: beard stains

Post by emmabeth »

I would try a whitening shampoo, but a bit of staining around the mouth on white dogs is fairly unavoidable really. As long as theres no permanently wet infected or sore areas of his lips or chin I wouldnt worry too much about it.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
swampy

Post by swampy »

Hi,
We have a Westie, so stains are a really issue for us. To make matters worse, the dog spends a lot of time at a horse barn. We have found Betadine to really be the key. Its an Iodine solution, so you would think it would stain but it doesn't. Used as a surgical scrub.

Another tip from the horse world: if you have problems with matting pick up a bottle of mane conditioner at your local tack store. Its variously called Shosheen or Mane-n-tail. Just comb it through after a bath and it will help all the hairs in the coat stay separate.

Swampy
Real life is just another window!
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I would say put a dab of whitening shampoo on a cloth & clean his mouth after eating and can keep hair short as in a "puppy" cut. 8)