Doggie Dandruff

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

superj

Doggie Dandruff

Post by superj »

Hi. One of my dogs is having a rough time with doggie dandruff this winter. It's been almost unbearably cold and dry all month (mostly single digits if not below zero) and it's showing on her short, single layer coat. Any suggestions on what to do? I'd like a topical solution of some sort to soothe the dryness. She is fed a high quality grain free food (Core Oceanfish by Wellness) so, I believe she's getting everything she needs dietarily speaking. The weather's just so brutal it's showing externally. Advice?

TIA
emmabeth

Re: Doggie Dandruff

Post by emmabeth »

Is your dog indoors and have you had the heating on high?

I would brush her really well using something that gets rid of excess undercoat (a shedding blade, a fine toothed comb) and then use a stiff bristle brush to spread the natural oils through her coat.

If you find after you do that for a week or so, that shes still really scurfy and her coat isnt looking better then consider adding a little good quality olive oil to her food.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
superj

Post by superj »

Hi Emmabeth. She is kept indoors and I have humidifiers every where. I do brush her regularly too - she just has a very thin, short coat so, not much to brush or deshed. The last few days her coat hasn't been bad since the weather has warmed up a bit (it's a whopping 20 degrees now!). But just letting her out to potty and come in when it's colder, she'll immediately look flakey. I'll try the olive oil next time. Was just wondering if there was any sort of leave in conditioner or something similar that I could massage on that would help.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

You know, I'm wondering if some lanolin cream would work out, or if it would make the coat too "gunky?" For people, Eucerin cream is the best there is for extremely dry skin. Too bad you can't remove the coat to apply some moisturizer, then put the coat back on her again. :P
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
superj

Post by superj »

That would be an effective technique whether my dog likes it or not, I'm sure :lol:
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

My boy Striker tends to have dry skin, so what really helps is when I bath him I'll wash him with doggy-shampoo & rinse well. Then I put on some Aloe-Ferox conditioner, leave it on for about a minute & rinse. The conditioner is actually for humans, but seeing that it only contains natural ingredients I guess it'll be fine. (It's dark brown & doesn't smell very nice either, but it really works. And the smell goes away after I've rinsed him). I've been doing this for about 6 months now, and I can see a huge improvement.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

sometimes an addition to diet can help, I don't know what size your dog is, but I would use 1/2 teaspoon for small/toy breeds, 1 tsp for medium dogs and a tablespoon for large dogs of simple oleo margarine. Margerine is a better choice than canola due to the fact that the linolenic acids are higher in it than canola oil. Use this once a day, and in the mean time there is an oatmeal based leave in conditioner (NOT sticky, smelly or greasy) called resisooth that is great for dogs with dry skin. Good luck.
heronfisher

Post by heronfisher »

Dandruff can also mean your dogs having an allergic reaction to something, or your dogs food may be not getting enough fatty acids in his diet. it is common for dogs. My vet told me to put an egg in my dog's food every morning and it will help the dandruff go away and make her coat smoother. it actually works and my dog loves the eggs.
Mboatwr

Post by Mboatwr »

heronfisher

is that a raw egg or a cooked ?