Husky / Samoyed mix

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Jinxy

Husky / Samoyed mix

Post by Jinxy »

We adopted him from a rescue 3 weeks ago. We knew he was a husky mix, and believe he is mixed with samoyed. The problem is I don't know the proper brush to groom him. We have a furminator but his undercoat is extremely thick and coarse and it doesn't even get into it. Could you please suggest a good brush to help keep him groomed. I guess on a positive note, he doesn't mind being brushed. :)
emmabeth

Re: Husky / Samoyed mix

Post by emmabeth »

I would think you will need at the very least, a long pin brush to get right down to the skin, and a metal comb, preferably a couple, one with long pins and short pins mixed together and one with wide gaps one end, finer toothed the other end.

You will not get down to the skin using a slicker, or a bristle brush, or a furminator type comb, not at all!

The other trick is where you start grooming. DONT start on the back!!!

Start on the legs, probably around the knees/wrists - get that brushed through then move up a few inches, so you are brushing from 'unbrushed' to 'brushed' - this way you do not end up 'skidding' over a thick layer of undercoat. It makes more sense on the dog i think.

I have my long double coated dog lie on his side and we start at the knees and brush down, then a few inches up and brush down in the direction of the coat. Every so often parting the coat fully to see down to the skin.. Then on the body i start on the tummy and flanks and work in sections until I am up to the back/back of neck etc then we roll him over and do the other side the same way.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
pmcrae71

Re: Husky / Samoyed mix

Post by pmcrae71 »

I have a chow/gsd mix so I know where you are coming from. I didn't know about this site when we got him three yrs ago. I went through aobut $200 worth of brushes and combs until I found the right ones. I like the rake better than anything. It's alot more comfertable to hold when you have so much grooming to do. I cannot use the fine toothed combs on him at all with the undercoat he has. I also like the pin brushes to sleek him down once I have all or most of the under coat off. He likes the bristle brush for his face. He'll bring it to me sometimes and I just rub it around his face and legs. It takes about 3 hrs to groom him from head to tail. He gets tired and so do I, :D . He really hates his tail and behind brushed. He has the longest hair there and gets knotted up real easy. I take him to the groomers once a month and get a good once over and then once a week I brush him out really good. Otherwise the fur sheds so bad, looks like I have another dog laying around.