Irritation After Shaving

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Irritation After Shaving

Post by Erica »

I've always had trouble with Delta being irritated after I shave his bum and related bits. This time it seemed to be especially bothersome to him, so I did some searching and found several people recommending Gold Bond powder. So far, it's doing well! He is much happier and less irritated, no longer almost constantly itching himself.

(This irritation is caused by the skin, suddenly robbed of a thick protective layer of soft fur, rubbing against shaved hairs' prickly edges, not by razor burn. You may need different treatment for that.)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
MandaS

Re: Irritation After Shaving

Post by MandaS »

Hi Erica,

Not heard of that before but it sounds good. I take it you just use a small pinch and lightly smooth on the skin? What's in it do you know?

Manda
Motivation & Reward stops dogs getting bored :)
Erica

Post by Erica »

It comes in a little dispenser like bakers may use to tap powdered sugar onto finished cakes, so I just asked him to lay on his side, lifted a leg, and tapped a little bit out. I don't know of the ingredients at the moment! Not wanting him to ingest it in case it would make him sick, I put a cone on him when I had to leave him after applying it. He didn't seem bothered by it or interested in it, but I didn't want to take chances. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
MandaS

Post by MandaS »

Thanks Erica, I will have a look and see if I can find it and what's in it.

Manda
Motivation & Reward stops dogs getting bored :)