Teeth brushing

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dog_lover

Teeth brushing

Post by Dog_lover »

Mickey had a visit with the vet 2 days ago for his ear & as soon as the vet saw his teeth, he said he needs to have them cleaned professionally. So they did that the same day. This was the first time bringing him to this vet.

The last vet was a pretty busy vet and he had no time to let Mickey get used to him and so Mickey jumped on him (would've bit him if I didn't control him). So since then, this vet stopped looking at his mouth/teeth.
The new vet said that in a week, I can start brushing his teeth again. The thing that makes it harder is, I can not get him used to it. This is how it goes:

-I start brushing his teeth
-he starts constantly trying to lick (because of the toothbrush & toothpaste.
-I continue brushing his teeth
-he starts making this weird hacking/coughing/choking/ whatever sound
-I get worried that something is wrong or he might puke so I stop.
This is what prevents me from brushing his teeth properly.
I know there are many alternatives to teeth brushing but I don't think they will help as much as brushing will. Is there something I'm doing wrong when brushing his teeth?
JudyN

Re: Teeth brushing

Post by JudyN »

I've never managed to brush my dog's teeth properly - either he didn't like the toothpaste or, when I found one I liked, he'd just be trying to lick it. You could try just brushing a couple of teeth for now and see if he becomes a bit calmer about it (there's videos online showing how to accustom a dog gradually).

If you're using a brush, try rubbing the toothpaste on with your finger instead - or you can get microfibre toothbrushes that fit over your finger which can be used with or without toothpaste: http://www.lintbells.com/products/toothcleaner

Some toothpastes work even if not brushed on, such as Logic Oral Hygiene Gel, and you could also try Plaque Off tablets.

You could also feed raw bones, such as chicken wings or lamb ribs - dogs who eat these regularly often have shiny white teeth that don't need to be cleaned at all.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Dog_lover

Post by Dog_lover »

Do you know why he might be making those weird hacking/coughing/choking sounds? The vet didn't seem too concerned but I'm still not sure. The only way I've been able to have SOME success with it is if I go super super slow and give lots and lots of breaks in between. Which will take at least 25/30 minutes.

I've actually never put much thought into different toothpastes. I just picked one (mint) but I'll try all these suggestions, thanks!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Can I just check you are using a dog toothpaste, as human ones can be dangerous for dogs?

If he only makes these noises when you're brushing his teeth, I wouldn't worry - it might just be the sensation of something in his mouth, or the minty flavour catching in his throat.

If you can get his teeth brushed, albeit in 25-30 mins, you're not doing badly at all! I would maybe aim to do, say, a quarter of his mouth each day, but stop as soon as he's looking stressed. Then you may (or may not) be able to build up gradually. It's important he knows that he can tell you when he's had enough. Apart from anything else, if he's only just managing to tolerate it you don't want him to suddenly decide he's had more than enough when your finger is in his mouth :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Ari and I use a piece of cloth instead of brush... And peanut butter :lol:

We divide mouth into 4 parts ... Upper/right, upper/left, etc.

After each quadrant - a bit of peanut butter as a reward.

I would recommend to start with very short sessions, with a lot of treats, covering the entire mouth... Which will mean that quality-wise this is a very poor job. But the point is to get used to these daily sessions.

Then, when this becomes a non-event, start increasing duration of sessions until you achieve desired quality. And perhaps reduce the rewards too.
Dog_lover

Post by Dog_lover »

Yeah, I'm using a dog toothpaste. Mint flavoured. Maybe since he probably doesn't like the mint, I should also change the flavour to chicken or something.
I'll try these suggestions, thanks!
DogSupport

Post by DogSupport »

Dog_lover wrote:Yeah, I'm using a dog toothpaste. Mint flavoured. Maybe since he probably doesn't like the mint, I should also change the flavour to chicken or something.
I'll try these suggestions, thanks!
Nutri-Vet enzymatic - enzymatic dog toothpaste is non foaming formulated specifically tasting chicken flavor.
SimplyPuppy

Post by SimplyPuppy »

Hi, I have not tried brushing my dog's teeth, we usually bring him to a grooming salon. But, just in case, maybe I'll use chicken as a flavor (though I like mint for him) because that is exactly the fave food of my Shih Tzu.
LittlebrookLyn

Post by LittlebrookLyn »

I'm another advocate of using a piece of cloth with toothpaste on it. I use a piece of muslin and clean my shih tzu's teeth every day and have done since we got her 4yrs ago. Last visit to the vet he said what beautiful teeth she has! We do also feed her a raw diet which I'm sure goes some way to keeping her teeth clean too. I would add that our dog doesn't like having her teeth cleaned and when I have finished I always give her a treat for being a good girl :D