Cleaning Bum Fur

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Cleaning Bum Fur

Post by Fundog »

So... those of you with fluffy or long coated dogs, particularly female dogs: does urine and feces tend to get onto the bum fur? If so, how do you keep it clean?

Annie, having significant pain and discomfort toward her hind end anyway, has become very averse to being brushed anymore, so her "pants" tends to get matted and on top of being urine soaked (because she can no longer squat effectively), after a few days she starts to really reek. :shock: My current method of cleaning is to take a bucket of warm water with some baking soda and/or herbal tea, and hand wash her with a wash cloth, then dry her off with an old towel. I was just wondering if there is a better way. It is very difficult to get her in and out of the bath tub nowadays.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Erica

Re: Cleaning Bum Fur

Post by Erica »

I know it's pretty common for groomers to give long-haired dogs a "sanitary" trim - trim or shave the bottom of the base of the tail and close to whatever bits the dog has. This means less cleaning is necessary, and less stuff builds up in the bum fur.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

We do this with our Himalayan cat-girl.... For what it's worth - it works, even though she may look funny to breed purists.
Lisky

Post by Lisky »

As ludicrous as it may sound, I've found non-scented baby wipes are really useful for when such mishaps happen! It helps to freshen up the long hairs in the nether regions :lol: Having a trim can help too.