Post Bath Zoomies

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Post Bath Zoomies

Post by Shalista »

Not really a problem that needs fixing per say but Bax and his cousin Ki get the WORST post bath zoomies. They go tearing around the house like their tail is on fire. Both of them only moderately tolerate baths so i imagine that first streak as i unleash them from the bathroom as they scream "FREEEEDDDOOMM!!!!!!!!" It's hysterical and i was wondering is this something all dogs do when they get a bath or just a particular quirk of our household. How do you handle it if you get it? I've played games with them after but tug just winds them up more or they will be to excited to even grab the toy.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Post Bath Zoomies

Post by Erica »

Delta definitely gets post-bath zoomies. If it hasn't been raining I let Delta outside to do his zoomies, and I just use the force dryer on his feet before I clip them, but apparently there's some rain-dance quality about Delta needing a bath and there's a solid week of rain before and after his baths. :P

I think it's a build-up of stress for Delta, possibly for your pups as well. I let him have his zoomies (inside or out) then give him a chew toy (something new and interesting) for a while before I dry him off, as he doesn't like being dried off either.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Yep, Annie used to have them, even after a nice swim in a lake or river, lol. Nothing much to do except let those zoomies out and get them over with. :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

it's so cute =P almost enough to make me nostalgic to get another puppy. ALMOST.

But yeah that post bath snuggle is awesome to. Bax's coat gets sooooo soft after a bath... that and he like, explodes with loose fur so i really do need to brush him/ snuggle him after a bath anyway once he's dry.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Laufey gets the zoomies whenever he gets wet. So after a bath and if he's been out in the rain. Every time without fail.
ksknight

Post by ksknight »

Maybe it's because I try to wrap him in a blanket after baths to keep him warm, but my pup Lukas does the opposite-- he always sleeps after baths!
One time, he did get the zoomies though. But he settled down soon to warm up and sleep.

My partner's dog, Zack, will energetically roll around in the bed covers after a bath. Not exactly zoomies, but he's definitely letting out energy..
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

hahaha wrapping bax in towels is his least fav part of the bath =P i try to dry him the barest minimum cause he's always so miserable getting toweled
stelz

Post by stelz »

Lover Boy gets them because SHELTIE, lol. My previous dog, Bandit, was a Chow mix and he didn't get zoomies, he rolled and rubbed, just digging his shoulders into whatever was there. Had to keep a close eye that he didn't jump on the couch or bed and do it, and I certainly couldn't let him outside until he was dry.

I think virtually all dogs must do one or the other.