Cutting a double coat

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

delladooo

Cutting a double coat

Post by delladooo »

When I was discussing getting MiMi on here, I mentioned that she would be kept longer and not shaved off (and no least because it's bad for the double coat) but she likes to follow Laufey into the mud and getting making a mess of herself and whilst we wouldn't dream of shaving her, any ideas on the best way to trim her? She doesn't seem to mind being fiddled with although not for too long (building up) and she's brushed regularly but bothered about around her ankles, chest and bum.

Any advice or a good book to read? I'm terrified of taking scissors to her myself (I really don't want to hurt her and my hands are about as shaky as they come) and I don't want to send her off to a groomer I don't know. Meaning, I'll make mum do it :wink: she was a hairdresser once upon a time and used to shave our westie so not out of her depth but want to give her somewhere to start with keeping her long-ish but not messy (as it was her that brought up making her shorter :shock: ) Add to that the fact I would love a poodle somewhere down the line but would want to clip myself and I really need to start thinking about how to groom "properly"
Theo400

Re: Cutting a double coat

Post by Theo400 »

Hi Delladooo

there are some fab videos on YouTube if you type in how to trim a pekingese coat. also pets at homes grooming salon are great as well they can show you how to.
delladooo

Re: Cutting a double coat

Post by delladooo »

ahhhh thanks! I'll see what I can find :D There is a p@h groomers relatively close so can always go there if need be to get the idea :)