Hairy Ear Canals

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Hairy Ear Canals

Post by Erica »

Delta has hairy ear canals, and I was wondering if that would be a problem. Should I just check his ears often or is there some sort of grooming I should do to help prevent ear infections?

Edit: ...I really hope this doesn't inspire a new wave of spam.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Re: Hairy Ear Canals

Post by Nettle »

How about asking his breeder as well?

I shudder at the spam this could generate :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

Erica wrote:I really hope this doesn't inspire a new wave of spam.
Nettle wrote: I shudder at the spam this could generate :lol:
I'd just like to point out that I now feel very wholesome (or perhaps just sheltered!) by not understanding what sort of spam that might attract! :lol:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I pluck the fuzz outta Errols ears, or he gets very greasy orrible ear'oles. He wasnt overly keen to start with but I made it into a game whereby I exclaim 'OOOH EAR POTATOES' each time i pluck out a load, in a silly voice of course, and then give him the plucked out muck to sniff which he takes great delight in, and thus we get by and hes quite happy with it. The freak.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Erica

Post by Erica »

Yeah, I've started clearing out his ears about once every couple of months, and using ear cleaner once a week. Delta doesn't really object to much once he's on the grooming table as he knows every weird thing earns him special yummies! He will let me know when I've got ahold of fur that won't come out, though.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
MandaS

Post by MandaS »

Hi,

Have you tried Thornit powder? Just a tiny pinch in the ear and then using a small flea comb, comb the hair but hold your thumb tight against the comb to pull out loose hair. It works a treat and leaves ears smelling lovely.

Manda
Motivation & Reward stops dogs getting bored :)
Annabellam

Post by Annabellam »

So hairly breeds have problems with hair in their ear canals. There is always that debate as to whether it is healthy to pluck or not to pluck hair in the ear canals. Personally i have not had problems with plucking i started it early and it works well. If you have a sensitive dog, it would be necessary to explore other methods of ear maintenance.