Grooming a GSP

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

hannahkyle

Grooming a GSP

Post by hannahkyle »

Hi all

We have a rubber mitt for Oggy (german shorthaired pointer) it doesn't get enough of his dead hair or doggy dandruff out is there a better brush to use?

Thanks
lucyandbella

Re: Grooming a GSP

Post by lucyandbella »

Kong zoomgroom is a must! I think it works better than most rubber curry combs which would also be an option. Just note on the kong zoom groom after a few years use the rubber spikes will wear down to nubs and it needs to be replaced because it pulls off considerably less hair. Here is a link so you can see what it looks like:http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2750607
hannahkyle

Post by hannahkyle »

Thanks for the reply I will have a look :)
GoChiBlackhawks

Post by GoChiBlackhawks »

I'm SO glad I found this since I was just about to post a thread about this same issue. I also have a GSP and currently it's that dreaded shedding season. I've used the Zoom Groom, and it doesn't work for me. It does loosen the hair a little on his sides, legs, and thighs, but it doesn't work on his neck or back (where he sheds the most). I've also tried the Furminator, but it doesn't seem to do anything that the Zoom Groom can't already do.
I say this because my next plan is to go into a groomer, have them brush him like crazy, and let me know what they used haha
Let me know if you discover anything that works, and I'll be sure to come back to this post if I find anything useful.
Good luck!
GoChiBlackhawks

Hey!
Yesterday, we took our GSP to the groomer and asked about his shedding problem. What is happening with him is that he is shedding A LOT, but brushes aren't pulling up his undercoat. You can pluck large amounts of hair off of him, but brushing does nothing.
She said the Zoom Groom isn't always a good choice for this breed. She suggested the Furminator (we use both). When she tried the Furminator on him, she also discovered that the undercoat was not being brushed. She recommended we try the shampoo and conditioner solution by Furminator. You can buy it at almost any store that sells the Furminator brush, but it's much cheaper on Amazon (I hope these links work):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045I ... d_i=507846 is the deShedding Ultra Premium Shampoo
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045I ... d_i=507846 is the Conditioner

She said that if the directions are followed correctly, all that extra fur should come right off!

We were also told to ask a vet about it in case it is diet-related. He's going to the vet tomorrow, and we feed him Blue Buffalo Salmon; so we'll see!

Good luck!
gwd

Post by gwd »

I wouldn't really get my hopes up with the furminator shampoo.

any shampoo will do to help coat blow. actually it's not even the shampoo it's the warm water and the physical action of massaging in the product. the warm water will help release the coat that is ready to jump ship. with a gsp you can use a very fine metal comb (or even a flea comb) and that will help strip out blowing undercoat. you need to be careful with the metal comb and make sure you're angling it so as not to scratch the skin............also, use a quality comb (not something you pick up at a pet store). the quality combs have highly polished tips which will be gentle on the coat and skin.

also, a 100% stiff boar brush will do a lot towards keeping the shed manageable. I really like the mason pearson brushes.

the furminator really is nothing more than a clipper (10 blade) on a handle. I can't believe how popular they've become and I wonder how in gawds name they've created a market for charging that much for something that is just a handy clipper blade!
GoChiBlackhawks

Great information! Thank you!
I agree, the Furminator really is overrated. It doesn't do much on my dog at all. I will try those combs and brushes.
Thanks!
gwd

Post by gwd »

GoChiBlackhawks wrote:Great information! Thank you!
I agree, the Furminator really is overrated. It doesn't do much on my dog at all. I will try those combs and brushes.
Thanks!
I also failed to mention on the shampoo..........dilute it to about a 1/4C to a gallon of warm water. use a sponge or a shower scrunchy to get the face, belly and legs, the back you can just pour the diluted shampoo over. no need to use full strength.....it just makes it harder to rinse. warm water really is key to a good bath. .......have it just a bit cooler than you'd have for a hot shower.