Best vacuum for pet hair

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

deftones1

Best vacuum for pet hair

Post by deftones1 »

ok, here's a companion thread for the "best stick/handheld vacuum".

As I've mentioned, we are moving at the end of the year. We already have a house that the cats have never been to (yet). We do not have a vacuum cleaner there (heck, I barely have one here!) and figure we should probably get one sometime this year. But what to get? I"m a very lazy vacuumer and we have 5 dogs(3 longhairs) and I have long hair myself. I've burned out the motor in our hoover because all of our hair gets wrapped up in the too quickly. and of course there's plenty of litter getting tracked.

What is a good vacuum? Can't afford the expensive Dysons or Orecks. I would love to get a pet quality roomba (I could run it every night and then the upstairs carpet would stay clean ) but, I don't know if it really does as good as they claim. Bissell was sponsoring the Puppy Bowl and 'looked' like it did an amazing job on that carpet - but you never know about editing

Suggestions? I don't really care whether it's canister or upright - makes no difference to me.
deftones1

Re: Best vacuum for pet hair

Post by deftones1 »

I have a Dyson, and I love it. We only have two cats though. I think any machine will struggle to keep up with eight dogs! I've had my Dyson for four years now, and I've never had any trouble. It easily switches between carpet, hard flooring, and the wand attachments.

Before the Dyson, I had Hoovers. My dad bought me a Hoover in 2000 when I went to grad school, and it was a fabulous machine. When we moved, the movers lost it so I bought a newer model of the same vac. It was a good vacuum too, but it died after six years of hard use. I bought another Hoover in 2008, but the company had been sold or something to the Eureka people or the Dirt Devil people, I can't remember. It lasted 6 months. It was a terrible, terrible machine, and the repair people in our area quit working on them. I switched to Dyson, and I haven't regretted it.

My mom used Eurekas and Dirt Devils after her Kirby died (which was also her favorite machine!). She now has a Dyson, and she loves it. She uses it on her hardwood every other day to keep her cat's hair to a minimum.