Excessive moulting

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rachel540

Excessive moulting

Post by rachel540 »

Hi! The last month or so Peppers moulting has become excessive, is this normal?

She is almost one. She is fed Wainwrights lamb and rice dry food with a spoon full of tuna twice a day. Goes swimming couple of times a week (wondered if that could cause it). We dont bath her just brush.

I cant think what could be causing it, is it just her summer coat? We havent exactly had a summer yet here in Leeds. It just doesnt seem to be stopping!
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
Nettle

Re: Excessive moulting

Post by Nettle »

has she had a season yet?

labs are almighty shedders, even though they are short-coated, but if her hormones are stirring for the first time, she would be even more likely to change her coat.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Hi shes had her first season and phantom pregnancy, expecting her next season around september/october.
labs are almighty shedders
:shock: I was under the impression they shed their coat twice a year and that was about it but its worse than ive ever seen before, i could knit a jumper a day its that bad, shes still got plenty on her tho, no patches or bald spots.
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Um, no, sorry :lol: labs are as well-known for shedding as they are for chewing.

I recommend a Furminator, or the cheaper version is a hacksaw blade used as a grooming tool.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS