Bathing and Clipping

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

shonajvernon

Bathing and Clipping

Post by shonajvernon »

Hi,

I took my 9 month old Westie to me clipped at washed today, but she became vicious and she bit the woman and she was unable to undergo anything. We even attempted at putting a muzzle on her but she forced it off with her paws. I am terribly embarrassed at the situation that happened and I have no idea in how to help her get used to being clipped and washed, please does anyone have any advice?!

Any tips appreciated,
Shona xx
JudyN

Re: Bathing and Clipping

Post by JudyN »

Hi Shona, and welcome to the forum. I'm not an expert, but I'll give you my tuppence worth :D

First, is it necessary for her to be clipped and washed, and could you do it yourself? Now she's had a scary experience at the groomer's, it will take some time to get her confidence back.

I would start on clipping & washing at home. Just approach it very gradually, for instance just picking up the clippers and treating & praising her, then putting them away. Or putting her in the sink/bath without any water, and treating her. Then that's it for the day.

You could also take her to the groomer's, just to visit. This might mean that you drive there, get out the car, give her a treat and go home again, if she shows signs of stress when she realises where she is. Build up to being able to go in there and have the groomer make a fuss of her without attempting to do anything. Then they can start lifting the clippers and treating, and so on and so forth. Ideally you stop before she shows any signs of stress but if she growls, back off - she's not yet comfortable.

I wouldn't advise putting a muzzle on her because it may encourage you to push her beyond her comfort zone. If you think there are signs that she might bite, you've already pushed her too far.

Hope some of that helps!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
shonajvernon

Post by shonajvernon »

Hi Judy,

We can wash her ourselves but when it comes to clipping she has to be done as she doesn't malt and she has very thick fur. I may take her to the groomer's and see if they are comfortable with me to slowly introduce her to everything so she gets used to all the equipment and the groomers. I will leave the muzzle and see how that goes.

I will follow what you've said and see how it goes, thank you very much :)

Shona xx
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Hi Shona, I have a long haired Chihuahua, he doesn't need clipping but he has black nails so trimming them isn't without some stress. I started out using a groomer but I tried two and each time Ted was getting less happy with the experience. I ended up teaching myself how to do his nails and just take a little off each time, at least if he ever needs them doing "properly" he will be more used to the experience.

So as well as trying to work with your groomer I would do some on-line research on how to clip her coat and start doing it yourself to get her used to it. That way you can do a little at a time, and if she looks a bit scruffy for a week whilst you get from one end to another it's not a disaster is it :wink: :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids