Lakelands

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Lakelands

Post by bendog »

I've never stripped Ben myself because my Nans friend does it for us, and my nan pays :wink:

However, now it will be three dogs need grooming (though Sash has to be clipped) and I was thinking if I could do Ben and Pop myself it would be easier/cheaper. Ben is my Nans fave so she'll only pay for him!

Had a little go at stripping Poppy yesterday as her hair is really long, theres still a lot to do since I didn't want to push her into staying still too long, plus I don't really know what I'm doing! Yesterday I was just having a quick whizz over her body and pulling with thumb and forefinger like I've seen the groomer do with Ben. loads of hair was coming out with just a tiny pull, and she does look better for it (much more curly), and she didn't seem to care, just sat there so it can't hurt her.

So....does anyone have any advice on how to hand strip a Lakeland or a Border terrier.

It doesn't matter if it's not perfect as they are just pets, but I don't want to totally ruin their coats or anything. :?
ClareMarsh

Re: Lakelands

Post by ClareMarsh »

This says the ears need stripping to avoid infection :shock: But given the lady you already use sounds good could you ask her to teach you? Might seem a bit of a cheek as you're doing her out of a job but you're going to anyway and you'd just pay her for the sessions where she teaches you?
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
bendog

Post by bendog »

I've watched her do Ben a million times, there really doesn't seem to be that much to it, other than making sure you cover the whole body so it doesn't go patchy, and not staying in one place too long.

Might wait til Ben is ready again in a couple of weeks and then have a practise on him since he's more likely to sit still than Popmonster.
katej215

Post by katej215 »

HI Bendog

I also had a go at hand stripping Hattie my fox terrier pup the other day - and like poppy she didnt seem to mind at all, in fact the hair came out really easily. There's a set of really useful PDFs of the Wire Fox terrier Association website. Obviously they are talking about wires not lakelands , but i think in general terms there's some good advice about handstripping which may be helpful?

Also not too sure what to do with ears - Hattie's are really fluffy and am wondering whether i can trim the edges to make them neater -OH was horrified!
bendog

Post by bendog »

Thank you, I'll check out those PDFs you mention. Wires are really very similar, and since I won't be showing my pup it doesn't matter if she's not text book perfect.

As far as I know you can strip the hair from the ears but our groomer often trims around my Borders ears, tail and paws with scissors just to make them neater though I guess purists would frown on this!