Puppy doesnt like being brushed

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nattyb

Puppy doesnt like being brushed

Post by Nattyb »

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice with my 5 month old puppy. Ollie is a cross between a Lhasa and a Bichon so needs grooming daily. I've had him since he was 7 weeks old and brush him daily but he still seems to dislike it. As soon as he sees his brush he runs away from me,he's only just started doing this in the last few weeks. I always make sure I give him plenty of praise and he is happy to be brushed as long as he can bite my hand!! He's grown out of his puppy biting stage now so this is the only time he now bites. I always try and groom him when he's in a chilled out mood and never when he's wide awake and playful. After our walk on sun he was growling and barking at me when I was trying to brush him, I wasnt sure whether it's best to leave him alone and try again later as I didn't want him to think by barking and growling at me he's got his own way. He's not so bad brushing his back, it's his legs, tummy and around his face he dislikes the most.
I used to give him a rawhide chew to bite on whilst I brushed him but he doesn't seem to accept that anymore. I tried saying no when he bites me and giving him a treat when he doesn't but I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
WufWuf

Re: Puppy doesnt like being brushed

Post by WufWuf »

Sorry this has been missed :oops:

If you post in the Dog Training Advice section you should get more responses!
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules