Help with Mange please!

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lillukas

Help with Mange please!

Post by lillukas »

So I'm sure this has been talked about..but I did do a search and couldnt really find what i was looking for..i have a JRT mix..that i think has some pit in him...he's about 35lbs and when i google picutres of JRT Pit mixes, i swear he comes up..so that being said, my dog has demodectic mange..and i know pits can have that due to the weakend immune system...had the scrape test done about a year ago so its for sure..its been under control..shampoos didnt work..but i did change his diet slightly to grain free food a while ago..mainly New Balance dry food..the vet had recommended a flea and tick medication, PROMERIS, that would help..and honestly it has..its been really the only thing that has...but more recently he seems to have grown immune to the medication, i think..his fur isnt bad but its def thinner that norm and he is scratching more than he should..any suggestions??
lillukas

Re: Help with Mange please!

Post by lillukas »

He eats Natural Balance food...not New Balance..sorry..he's not a sneaker eater..well..not anymore ha
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

IF his itching is still caused by the mange, then keeping him as healthy as possible on the best quality food you can will help his immune system keep the mange mites in check.

However I would think if you are not seeing any broken skin or sore spots, that the itching is NOT caused by demodectic mange at all - it is perfectly normal for dogs to carry some of these mites around all the time. Dogs become immune to them at a fairly early age and it is only when they are highly stressed or their immune system is weakened that the mange mites then take hold.

This is why you will see strays, abused dogs, dogs in kennels with mange problems that resist treatment - the treatment is of no use whilst the dog is stressed and his immune system weak.

To keep the mange at bay - feed the best quality grain free food you can. Supplement that with high quality raw food (fruit, veg,(blended to a pulp), raw meaty bones, a bit of offal, the occasional raw egg) and avoid like the plague anything that is sugary or high carb, because the digestion of these foods leads to poor skin and that will give the mange mites a chance again.

You could also wipe your dog over from time to time with a diluted apple cider vinegar solution.

I would include garlic in the diet on a regular schedule, several times a week - just a single clove smashed up or if you can get it, the 'lazy' garlic puree, just a squirt of that in with his food.

Both raw food, and garlic, provide a VERY hostile environment for parasites, whereas high grains, high carbs, high sugars, make life really easy for them!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
lillukas

Post by lillukas »

thanks emmabeth..i did end up bringing him to the vet..which i didnt want to do..bc of the bill..but i just didnt want him to go thru another flare up of mange...anyways i think i was being a little paranoid bc his mange wasnt the problem which im happy for..i will double check with the sugar intake he gets..i know raw is good but idk if i can swing doing that with my schedule..is it possible that the fall season creates dryer skin?? the vet said no but i was skeptical to her response..he's not a stressed dog..high energy yes, but not stressed..i do my best to get rid of that energy..but i will try the garlic..also, i had been putting some canned salmon on his food when he eats..for taste and for the oils, omega 3..is that good to do?