PediPaws Review

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dontpugme

PediPaws Review

Post by dontpugme »

I recently went to a large garage sale. One thing I got out of curiosity was PediPaws. It's one of those "as seen on TV" products, so I was skeptical. The lady was selling it for $5, but I got it for $2.

Here's the front of the box. Excuse my bad camera. :) I was using a desk lamp to try to make it brighter, so the part that the light hit says, "Battery Powered Requires 2 'C' Batteries (Not Included)"

And now the back.... The top says, "The Fast, Easy & Gentle Way to Trim Your Pet's Nails!"

When you open the box.....

Here's what's inside....the actual device and three extra emery filing barrels

Here are two of the extra barrels.....

The device...

I'd say its about 10 inches...

It also came with this instruction guide....

The beginning of it was pretty good. It had a pretty good desensitization guide. But then I read step 3....
and that was kind of a turnoff.

Anyway, the sound of the motor is pretty quiet. I've never used a dremel, so I can't compare it to others. It takes a bit longer than just clipping, but it works. I've been using a combination of this and clippers. Not having any issues using it with max. Anyone else use this??
--dontpugme
emmabeth

Re: PediPaws Review

Post by emmabeth »

Yeah, I inherited one from a friend and thought it might be less fo a handful than our full size dremel with the extension kit..

However - its too slow/not enough torque, press down hard enough to remove a decent amount of nail and it just stops, which i assume is what makes it so safe, but the amount of time you need to use it to remove a decent amount of nail means you risk the dogs nail getting REALLY hot from the friction.

So, i prefer the dremel really you h ave much more control over it you can use different grade emory bands or the stone abrasive grinding wheels, control the speed too and remove more nail in a shorter amount of time. YOu still have to be aware of the risk of friction causing burns/pain but its less likely as you are doing teh job quicker.

I give this a thumbs down unless you are using it several times a week on a small dog.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Beckyyy

Post by Beckyyy »

I tried this when Duke was younger and didn't get on with it, he also didn't like the sensation at all. I prefer to just clip now.

Very helpful review for others!
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Oh god I really dont like those instructions :(

I was considering getting one of these, but in the end just got some clippers (not the guillotine ones) which are really easy to use. I just clip a tiny bit off at a time. And as for holding the poor dog down, if Dylan wriggles I just take my time, stroke his belly, stroke his paw and then he was fine. Considering I have onyl recently started clipping his nails, and I doubt very much he has ever had them clipped before, he was a star. I think I would be a bit worriedf using the file/dremel as I imagine it would be easy to file too far...but I have never used it so I dont know!
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Heidi out dalmation loves her claws clipped. She thinks the clippers give out food, and everytime you clip there's a lovely bit of claw to eat. :lol: :lol: :lol:
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

jakesmom wrote:Heidi out dalmation loves her claws clipped. She thinks the clippers give out food, and everytime you clip there's a lovely bit of claw to eat. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bahahahaha :lol:
--dontpugme
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

I use one of these in combination with guillotine style clippers. First I clip the nails, and then round them off using the PediPaws. That way I don't risk cutting into the quick. If Flanders tries to pull away, I stop what I'm doing so we can both take a break. She's OK with that.
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
Erica

Post by Erica »

We got one and used it for a while, but even twice daily for quite some time, it wasn't enough to keep up with our GSD's claws. I just got a guillotine clipper, and brought out the freeze-dried chicken...she only gets it when she comes inside off-leash (our yard isn't fenced in, so we make sure she knows that coming inside willingly is AWESOME) or when I clip her nails. She's not afraid to tell me "that's enough for that one!" by just shifting a bit, and she knows I'll listen to her so she doesn't freak out. Win-win!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shepherd103

Post by Shepherd103 »

My dog use to be nervous of the Pedi Paw.
But anyhow, I use to turn it on for a while, but I didn't use it on him until he was comfortable with the noise.
Within two days, he loves getting his nails done! :D
Persevere, hang on till the end. Don't quit, keep going!
Shepherd103