To many Baths??

Discussion of grooming tips and questions.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sunnydasie

To many Baths??

Post by Sunnydasie »

Well Snickerdoodle loves running around outside, digging, and rolling around. The problem that I am having is she is getting really really dirty!!! And I am not sure how to describe our soil/mud here. Well it is basically red mud and she get covered in it. She will also roll in poop!! I was wondering how many baths are to many this week so far she has had two!! One for poop and then for mud! Oh I can't forget the pond she loves getting into that!!

She does not get the exercise she wants or seems to need on leash all the time. It makes her crazy and she eats things like by bed spread and a shoe! So with the kids in the house and the tractors off the farm I let her run around a bit and she comes back smiling :D !! And things in my house remain intact!

So how many are two many and what kind of shampoo should I use?
Caroline
Fundog

Re: To many Baths??

Post by Fundog »

When I lived in "red dirt land," and my dogs' white bits turned pink :lol: I often just settled for a water-only thorough rinsing, rather than subjecting them to frequent repeat shampooing. And when I do shampoo my girls (which is pretty seldom, really), I just use baby shampoo, for human babies.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
emmabeth

Re: To many Baths??

Post by emmabeth »

Frequent bathing with soap is not great. I have a heavy coated Tibetan terrier and boy can he get mucky, he is never bathed more than once every three weeks!

Use old towels to dry off soggy dogs, mud and horse/cow poo will brush off when dry and is harmless if a tad stinky (its not a smell that offends me really!)

Washing with soap should be reserved for when the animal has rolled in fox or other carnivore poop which is much less pleasant and can carry nasties. Even then most things will be ok to just wipe off or spot wash rather than wash the entire dog.

If you have a REALLY muddy mucky dog and need them to be clean immediately (and most times you really dont need that) then hose down and forget the soap.

A good diet and thorough grooming iwth the right brushes will actually keep the coat in much better condition than frequent bathing. A healthy coat has natural oils in it and will repell dirt if you help it along by brushing regularly and well. A wipe over the top of a well brushed dog with a damp cloth will pick up remaining dirt. as far as soap adn water are concerned, less really IS more!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant