Who are you and where is my Rupert?

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

Who are you and where is my Rupert?

Post by Sarah83 »

I gave up on eye contact a looooong time ago as being asked to give it freaked Rupert out horribly. Anyway, lately he's been giving eye contact whenever he wants something from me (I have to guess what it is he wants, he just stares at me) so I thought I'd give it another try and did a short clicker session on it. By the end of 5 minutes he was deliberately looking into my face for a second to get a click and treat. Result. That night I walked him alone as Calvin isn't well. Usual Rupert on the way to the field, scanning the horizon, stressed out about being out and about etc (he relaxes when on the field but the walk to and from worries him). On the way home however he started turning to look up at me every minute or so. I had treats on me but no clicker so just kept saying "good boy!" and offering a treat whenever he did this. He even took the treats without me putting them in his mouth! Okay so he nearly took my fingers off too but I'm sure we can work on "gently" later. He kept this up for a good 10 minutes, then we got to the sheep field and the really dark street leading to ours where cats hang out in the shadows so he went back to scanning for something to chase.

I have NEVER had him offer any behaviour while out and about before. I'm not going to hold my breath or get my hopes up too high but fingers crossed this may be a start.
Mattie

Re: Who are you and where is my Rupert?

Post by Mattie »

WOW Sarah, that is a very big success, you have worked really hard to get Rupert to this stage, well done. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Yay!!! Well done you and Rupert!! :D
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Thanks guys, it's only taken us almost 7 years to get to this point :lol:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

You never gave up Sarah, he is a very lucky boy and I take my hat off to you because of the way you never gave up. Image
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Mattie wrote:You never gave up Sarah, he is a very lucky boy and I take my hat off to you because of the way you never gave up. Image
Thanks Mattie. I've given up for short periods thousands of times but something keeps me going back for another try. Sucker for punishment I guess :lol:

I'd actually started keeping a training diary just a couple of days before this happened. Figured it helped me see how far he'd come when he was terrified of everything, maybe it'll help me see that he's improved on something when I find myself getting frustrated about getting nowhere.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Wow. That's huge. Congrats Sarah! Hugs to you - And butt scratches for Rupe!
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Great job, Sarah and Rupert!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Sarah, that is so, so cool. you both have a lot to be excited about.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Brilliant stuff, its not a little thing at all thats HUGE - and older dogs CAN learn new stuff :D Well done you for sticking it out and not quitting!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

We've had another odd moment too. We were at the vets last week and he actually tried to initiate play with two dogs who came in :shock: He screeched, he whined, he offered a paw, he wriggled, he lay down, he crawled, he screeched a bit more and here was me warning the owners as they came in that my dog doesn't like other dogs :roll: He also mostly ignored the JRT who sat opposite growling at him every time he moved. I had to physically block his view a couple of times but we never got to the point where he reacted beyond a stare. The time before the waiting room was horribly crowded and he ended up with a labs head just inches from his and there was no big blow up, he just stretched his head out and sniffed.

I'm seriously beginning to wonder where the real Rupert is hiding. It's been months since he saw another dog except through our front window and at the vets so lets hope he reacts more like this to the next one we see while out on a walk. Okay so the behaviour isn't ideal but it's better than him crouching down with his tail glued to his belly and his trying to bite them when they get within 10ft.
chay

Post by chay »

absolutely fantastic, sarah! gooooooooooo rupe! :D
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Great job Sarah and Rupert! :D