confident dog!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

chay

confident dog!

Post by chay »

i was going to wait a few more weeks before posting this, but dang it i think it is a success already so wanted to share!

i first posted on these forums asking about how to build confidence in our little gypsy dog (who came to us after being hit by a car and rescued, was extremely timid and insecure - any time anyone would look at her she would roll straight on her back, constant nervous licking and submissive gestures all of the time, and terrified by the sound of cars/bicycles/joggers)

to date, gypsy has:
- stopped rolling on her back completely - UNLESS we have been deemed to have not given her sufficient cuddles in which case the tummy is presented, not as a "please don't kill me" gesture but a "AHEM...i don't believe we are finished yet" :lol:

- is LOVING clicker training, and has got to the point where she will even sit for food - which was impossible at the start, as food was just TOO exciting and she would lose all focus. she has "wait" (before crossing the road), "off" (the couch) and "come" (in-house only, she is not walked off-lead). we are working on "down" next, which is proving challenging because she immediately rolls on her back, as per her old habit, instead of laying down on her tummy...working on it!

- LOVES walking and doesn't give a care in the world to passing cars, bicycles or people (though she still isn't too keen on kids, so we avoid one particular park and she is fine). i get up earlier now to walk her before work (she is the best alarm clock ever by the way, no way am i sleeping in when theres a walk to be had!) and we go for a long walk after work to just explore and wander about. she has made some little doggy friends we see regularly in our neighborhood AND she even comes to hang out with us at the pub some days (and doesn't mind one bit being the star of the show and having all the passers-by tell her how pretty she is, lol)

- finally (i think helped in part by the walks above) - she used to fairly regularly pee in the hallway about 10 minutes before i got home from work (she was never in trouble or got yelled at, just couldnt seem to make it all day inside). well we had the carpets cleaned almost 3 weeks ago and since then she has only pee'd TWICE inside (and both were my fault - once when i was dying my hair and so was closed in the bathroom so she couldnt tell me she needed to go out, and the other was just the other day when it was PELTING down with rain outside and i gave her a very cursory cheat-walk around the backyard and straight back inside in the morning!) - HOORAY!

so i just wanted to say a HUGE thankyou, on my and gypsy's behalf, just for running such a fantastic, welcoming and supporting forum. i learned so much just from reading the issues others have had, and the suggestions for them - some things i was able to take on board to help her with issues she already had from her troubled past, but some things i wouldnt have even thought about that i have been able to incorporate into gypsy's life to PREVENT FURTHER issues, which is just amazing.

the holistic approach to dogs (and their respective humans') lives that i have found on these boards is seriously so inspiring.

anyway, sorry for the long soppy post, but seriously i cant thank you guys enough. i have a happy, confident and increasingly well adjusted little dog and i look forward to working with her and helping us improve each others lives for a very long time to come :D
Fundog

Re: confident dog!

Post by Fundog »

That is wonderful to hear. What an inspirational update; thanks for posting! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

glad you didn't wait to post. even small successes are worth cheering about and your's isn't small. well done. be sure to give your self a reward and gypsy some extra tummy rubs and scratches :D
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Great to hear Gypsy's doing better! :D
chay

Post by chay »

thanks so much guys!! :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Thanks for posting that Chay - its really great to read about even the tiniest successes (and actually yours and Gypsys progress is amazing!) and as Jacksdad says, give yourself a reward because its you who has put in the hard work here!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

WOW Chay, what an improvement, you have worked hard to help Gypsy, she is a very lucky girl to have you.

Even a slight improvement needs celebrating, these tiny steps lead to big strides as you have, each tiny improvement has developed into this massive step with Gypsy.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Wonderful!!! Thank you for sharing and not waiting. :D

For the "down" issue, there was a new blog post today about a fearful dog who was afraid of lying down - she was so tiny that she apparently didn't want to go any lower than she already was! - so there was a method the trainer used to teach it without scaring her:

http://positively.com/2011/02/07/help-f ... -michaels/

Good luck, keep up the good work!!
chay

Post by chay »

thanks again everyone, we are definitely feeling very pleased with ourselves and those little steps just keep getting bigger, exactly as you say mattie!

emmabeth, i honestly feel like it is her who is doing the hard work, she's had such a rough trot and to see her coming out of her shell so well is such a huge reward in itself <3 BUT if you insist, i might pour a glass of wine after clicker training tonight and make a toast to all of us! ;)

noobs that was such a great article, and really clarified/bought back into focus not only how unsettling it must be working through a traumatic past, PLUS being only 6 inches off the ground! that is also SUCH a great idea for helping teach "down", what an awesome outside-the-box suggestion! i think we might give that a go for our clicker training session tonight!

while i'm here i thought i'd give a quick update too, gypsy is still pretty excitable when asked to "sit" but instead of jumping up and spinning willy nilly - will now plonk her butt down, spin ON her butt once, and end up with her back to us looking up at us upside down, happy as a clam! :lol: it is hilarious, and we figure hey - her butt's still on the ground, so it still counts!!
chay

Post by chay »

oh gosh also i just wanted to share - this made me laugh so much

we have not had a single pee inside since my last update, great success!

so last week we had a rent inspection, it was all good, clean house, clean carpets (woo!) - we had a bit of a longer walk that morning just in case too, however we encountered another dog on the walk - everything was friendly and fine, they had a brief hello and then we kept moving but i think it threw her off her morning ritual a little bit as she got a little "toilet shy" afterwards...

so anyway, i left for work and had husband go outside with her again before he left a few hours later, just to be sure.

so i get home...and she has left a neat little poo RIGHT in the middle of the hallway :lol: :lol: of all the days!

of course im not sure if she did that before or after the agent arrived, but gosh i had a very good giggle at imagining her walking in to find a lovely clean house with a perfect little dog poo right there in front of her!