finally, two good walks in a row!

Share your experience and tell us how using positive reinforcement training methods has changed yours and your dogs' lives.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

OHenry

finally, two good walks in a row!

Post by OHenry »

So I've been trying to learn loose leash walking with Henry since we got him in August. I kept coming back to the instructions but just was not getting it--Henry was getting better with the pulling but still just really inattentive and wandering. But gradually we have gotten better and better. We're still not perfect but at least no one would laugh that this little dog is out walking his owner. Thanks to Mattie for the instructions (where is she BTW?) and to everyone else who contributed to that initial thread.
jacksdad

Re: finally, two good walks in a row!

Post by jacksdad »

nice. keep it up. took jack and I a little while to get it too. he was so on alert regarding the world around him he wasn't paying much attention to me. but we got there...mostly. he still needs reminders from time to time since I like him walking a little in front of me so I can keep an eye on his mood/alert status.
butlali

Post by butlali »

jacksdad wrote:nice. keep it up. took jack and I a little while to get it too. he was so on alert regarding the world around him he wasn't paying much attention to me. but we got there...mostly. he still needs reminders from time to time since I like him walking a little in front of me so I can keep an eye on his mood/alert status.
How old is your dog? How long did it take to get to this stage?
This sounds like my dog at the moment although he is getting better, slowly
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Glad to hear you're getting results even though it's not perfect yet, Butlali! :D I had the same problem with my dog Karma, but what made it worse was the fact that whatever got her attention, she would pull me in that direction. With hard work, a lot of time, energy, effort that goes into this training, I can walk Karma with no problems at all. As for how long it takes, it will take as long as it is going to take, but don't give up, keep working with your dog, and before long, you will feel even prouder you have a dog you can walk with ease and be proud of your accomplishment, too! :D
Last edited by wvvdiup1 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Take Wvvdiup1's word, Butlali! I remember one of the first days when Wvvdiup1 first got Karma. She had been working with Karma the first full week, just getting her to walk with her. When we went on the first break, we walked across this bridge that goes across the river behind the animal/rescue shelter where we were putting in a very long day, and Karma walked beautifully with us. However, when we went on the second break, we went across the bridge again, this time Wvvdiup1 caught Karma's body change and tried to get Karma to focus on her, but instead, Karma jumped over the railings, pulling Wvvdiup1 over the railings, down 15 to 20 feet into the water, where both of them just missed crashing into the rocks below! :shock:

Needless to say, she worked with Karma continuously, even when she has had a few setbacks, such as being pulled off a foot bridge into frigid water last year in the winter; another time, when Karma pulled her into the rear-backside of a moving van, which resulted in a few broken ribs; and another time when we and some of our friends were on a camping trip and we took our dogs on a hike, again she tried to get Karma's attention before she saw the deer, but it was too late: both were quickly moving down the mountain! Again, she continuously worked with Karma, not giving up on Karma. Now, when we (all of our friends & their dogs) get together and go for walks, you couldn't have a better walking dog than Karma, because, as can see, Wvvdiup1 didn't give up on her and just kept working with her. It may have taken more time and effort in training Karma to walk well on a leash, but all of it was well worth it! :D
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I sure do remember those "events" as well as the setbacks, but you are right: I did not give up on Karma! I figured if she was going to be stubborn, so was I and I wasn't going to lose this battle, because it is important to have a dog that's well-behaved, easy to walk without having to worry about safety of other people, dogs, and what have you, especially when dealing with a dog this size and aggression, which I have also put a lot of time, effort, and energy into training my dog Karma. The key here is not to give up but keep working with your dog! You will see results soon enough! :D

And, by the way, I was trying to hold back Karma on that bridge, when I lost my grip on the railing, CoolDog. :oops: It's not easy holding an eighty-five pound, muscular, large dog and holding onto the railing! :oops: :(
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
butlali

Post by butlali »

I think I have gotten of lightly with my dog after hearing your stories. I had a lovely walk this morning. Jimmy pulled towards a couple of cars that sounded very loud even to my ears. He started pulling when he knew we were on our way home but it's cold and Jimmy is very nesh.

If these are the only problems I encounter on walks then I think I'm doing well.

I live on a very busy road. When I first started taking Jimmy out he would raise up onto his hind legs and growl at every car, then spin on his lead, as he was spinning he would bite my legs, the amount of bruises I ened up with was unbelievable. It has taken nine months to get to he pulling at a few noisy sports cars and push bikes. I sometimes forget how far he's come if we're having a bad walk and need to remind myself that it's not that bad.

Push bikes are another story altogether though. This has come about because the council put cycle lines down our road but the cyclists refuse to use them and some of the more unsavoury ones have tried to run use over. So, as you can imagine, Jimmy hates bikes with a vengence.

Glad to hear you have made so much prgress with karma :D